Dodged a BIG bullet with my basses today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    So I get a call from my wife, that some concrete workers we'd hired tried to use our hose today and there was no pressure, and the next thing you know, we have a LOT of water in our fully finished and carpeted basement... where ALL OF MY GEAR IS!

For those not familiar with my sickness, we're talking TWO MTD 535's (one chambered Marilyn), TWO Zons, Roscoe, Cirrus, and a few others, one of which is sold pending shipment, and two others on "loan" that don't even belong to me (at least not at the current time).

She tells me she can't stay at the house because she has a cat that's sedated and awaiting surgery (yeah, she's a vet) and HAD to get back to it or risk losing the cat (which can be HUGE problems... including nasty legal). Meanwhile, I work almost an hour away from home, and I don't even know if the water is continuing to leak into the basement or not, and she can't take the time to try and figure that out, and instructed the kids to stay out of the basement, fearing electrical danger (good call).

Next thing I know I'm running out of work, calling everyone I know on the cell phone to try and get them over to the house and driving 95 on the highway concentrating so hard watching for cops as well as using the radar detector that I don't even notice the radio's not on (rare for me).

Seems like an eternity while I have day-mares about waterlogged chambered MTDs...

So I get home and there's water pretty much everywhere EXCEPT where my gear (and this computer) is. We did have a lot of things damaged, but minor stuff. The worst of it is we had to call Peerless over and hire them to do a VERY expensive emergency cleanup, which we hope and pray insurance will cover (shouldn't be a problem, but you never know until it's approved). The humidity is crazy high, so I still pulled all my gear out and put it upstairs, but all of it's fine, actually having only been exposed to the humidity for a very short time... may have even done it good. No big deal. Thank God for sparing me what would be the most unbearable pain of my life outside of losing a family member!

As I type this, fans are running all over the place and an industrial dehumidifier is cranking pints into the sump on the other side of the basement from me.

I feel like Neo in The Matrix as the bullets grazed his shirt on top the building...
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

Wow man, glad to hear the basses got out okay.

That woulda been a horrible day if the water reached them.

Good luck with your house, Vic.

and look into some waterproof cases. ;)
  3. OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    Woow. Seems like you survived quiet a scare!! Glad everything worked out and no harm came to you basses.

Have you got an idea about what your hart rate was during the trip home :p
  4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Wow! Good thing nothing happened. I understand your concern. When we evacuated for Hurricane Frances, everyone in the family was allowed to take one luxury item. I took my double gig bad with my two basses. At the time they were a Roscoe and a pre 1975 Ibanez Fender Jazz lawsuit bass.

Fortunately the house only sustained minor damage. In fact I'm repairing the ceiling today under my outside porch that was water damaged from Frances.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Close call! My gear and computer is in the basement of my house as well. I purchased my childhood home, so I know from experience that the basement is capable of flooding if a pipe breaks, so all of my basses hang a few feet up on the wall, and all of my effects are on a pedalboard that raises up about six inches in the air.

Everyone, remember to take photos (and video if you can) of all of your stuff for insurance purposes!
  6. Its cool that you made it back to your basses,
    . . . but yeah, not so good that you were speeding stupidly like that, clearly taking the thought of material values over that of other peoples lives (no matter how good a driver you may be), not meaning to sound like a complete dick . . . but thats just not cool . . .
  7. Hurricane Frances reaked havoc even up here in Ottawa, dumping a ton of rain in a short period and resulting in flooded basements. Fortunately, my basses were hanging on the wall.

Glad to hear your basses are safe Vic.
  8. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Q: Humm Basses vs Cat....

A: Basses, no Cat..of coarse.

Really glad all was OK. What a horror story.

I have resisted putting by basses in the bassement for that very reason.

Glad this has a happy ending.

I'll leave you with this thought "French Drains". Your basement should never flood again.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    wow Vic, that was close!
  10. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. I lost a vintage 215 Peavey, a 115 peavey, an old PA system.....and my 1967 Gibson Byrdland. Yeah, the insurance should cover the loses though
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Ouch. That could have been terrible. Glad to hear everything is OK (well, your basses at least). Hope the damage to everything else doesn't amount to too much.

Good luck.
  12. :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Good god!!! I had the adrenalin coursing though my veins just reading this! I'd be freaking!!!

I'm amazed and very relieved for you. I'd say there were a lot more than ONE bullett you dodged on this one! If you were that cat, I'd say you just used up a life for each of those basses.

Take care and good luck with the claim. Glad to hear the basses won't be included in that! :bassist: :D
  13. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    A few years ago I lived on an inlet off a bay. Woke up one morning and looked UP at the water against my window. A tidal surge had pushed half the bay into our community. First thought? SAVE THE BASS! It (and the cats) where the only things i salvaged.

Curious....does anyone know if most insurance fully covers things like bass collections? Do you TB'rs have special policies?
  14. You are one lucky man, my good sir! I own two really cheap basses, and a crappy practice amp, and yet I find my blood pressure rising from just reading this thread! Oh man, I couldn't imagine having been in your shoes! I think I would have called a neighbor and told him to break-in through a window to check on everything for me!

15. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    So that was you that passed me up on I-72 huh? ;)
    Just kidding. Glad your gear is ok. Maybe you shouldn't keep it all in one place just in case. Maybe you should split it up and keep half of it at my house! :D
  16. Oh man. That's insane. I'd be surprised if you could close your eyes during and a few hours after all that happened. I'd be afraid of blinking, and still be in shock.

But still, I think someone up there likes you. Or maybe two guys were having a bet to see how much they could screw with you.
  17. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Vic, did your anti-siphoning faucet split? My first winter in the mid west, and I didn't know that I was supposed to insulate them from the ice............Water all over the basement floor.
  18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Think Alex Van Halen's bass drum in "I'm Hot For Teacher". :)
  19. :D :D :D