dodgy GK's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raised_fist, Dec 5, 2003.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Okay, so I tried a GK 700rb and loved it (besides its lack of compressor - now I have to buy a seperate one), although I found out that this is the old model, the straight 700RB, not the 700RB-II. What is the reason for the II model? I have just heard a few dodgy things about GK around here, and although I love the sound, I dont what to buy it if its guts are gonna drop out in a couple of months.
    Is it a harmless upgrade? Or was it an attemt to fix a dodgy amp and then start a new?
    If harmless, then what is the difference between the two?
  2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    You've asked two questions...reliability of the first series...difference between the two series.

About reliability...there was some problem with a thin preamp board flexing and causing some of the pots to have bad solder connections. I understand this can be fixed fairly cheaply...I bought one that had been previously repaired for this problem and it's been fine through a few gigs so far.

Between models, I understand the most notable difference is another 100 watts. The preamp board is also sturdier and the electronics are quieter...the tweeter amp on the original has some hiss, but I use the main power amp full range so not such a problem. Also, there's a cosmetic difference in the look of the new amp.

Which model to get? If you can use the extra power and have the $$$, get the II model. If you can find a good deal on the original and it's working would probably cost you 1/2 as much as a new the vicinity of $300 vs $600 new. But that's in USD...
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I bought a 700RB 210 back in July.

I love this amp and I baby it. The only issue I've had with mine was when it was extremely humid out I got this muffle and crackle. I'm pretty sure it was moisture in the pots. but it all left once I had had it on for a 5 min and that was the extent of my problems with this amp.
  4. rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I bought a 700RB and 410RBH cab about a year and a half ago and have not had any problems. Beleive me, I push it pretty hard on a regular basis because of the drummer in my band. I'm even considering upgrading to the new 700RB-II 210 combo or the 1001RB-II 210 combo.

With the 700RB-II they bumped up the output from 380W @ 4ohms to 480W @ 4ohms and upgraded some of the parts (better capacitors). All this and the price remained the same.:D

Yessir...time for an upgrade.;)
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Another happy GK user here.
    I own the 1001RB 2x10 combo along with the 1x15 RBH cab and have never had any problems.
  6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I too have a GK1001RB 2x10 combo with the extension RBh115 and it has been flawless. In the beginning I blamed the crappy tone of my rig on it, but found out that it was my bass's preamp. Now I find it truly awesome. Tone is great without any effects, pedals, or processors. Power was never an issue. I don't even know why I have the 15!

I took the amp out of the combo for a little while, which allowed me to take a good look at the insides of it. It was built extremely well. Not much in there either, and all the weight comes from the huge power supply. I would think that keeping it in the combo would add some added protection over an skb case, mainly for the fact that it is hard to throw around a 80lb combo. And there are so many screws holding it in that it isn't going to flex, so the solder issue shouldn't be a problem for me.

All in all, I see no reason to get the new amp unless you have the cash. I really like the looks on the original series a little better. It's all opinion though.

7. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    You might watch the Musician's Friend closeout page. They did a closeout on the rest of the 700RBs for $399 plus free shipping. Occasionally they have a return from that closeout batch, which they will relist. I just got one that way, not sure yet if I will keep it or return it (and pay return shipping).

For the $$, that is a hard deal to beat for new with warranty. Of course, the 700RBii is only $200 more, which is another way to look at it.
  8. If you had any problem at all with the first generation 700RB, it would most likely be the preamp board. A Mark II series preamp board is only $80 plus an hour labor to install it and if you buy the amp new, it's under warranty for 2 years anyway.
  9. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Thanks for your help with that one guys. I blew my setup the other week, so I have now been looking for something new. I might run with the 700rb with a seperate compressor, and if anything goes wrong... well... lets just hope it doesn't.
    Because I live in Australia, everything is a matter of, "Yeah we can order it, it will take about 79576 years, though", and I need it as soon as possible.