1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does 35" scale require special long strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vindibona1, Apr 1, 2018.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Currently I've got DR Pure Blues strings on my Ibanez BTB bass which has a 35" scale length. I've seen some strings advertised specifically for long scale basses which tells me that not all bass strings will accomodate a 35" scaled bass. I specifically called the DR people before buying said that the Pure Blues would be long enough. But if I were to want to change to Elixirs, La Bella, D'Addario, GHS or any other major string brand what would I have to look out for to make sure they would be long enough?

TIA

2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Only if you string through the body. it’s only an extra inch, so regular strings strung at the bridge are fine.

gebass6 likes this.
  3. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Usually I've found strings are normally made a bit over long on purpose, I guess it also depends if the tuners are all one side like Fender or two top two bottom...

4. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Depends, but most 35" basses with Fender style bridges will take a regular scale string. My 35" Modulus and MTDs do. Best to measure and confirm. String brands have different distances from Ball to Silk.

5. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Good point pug. I hadn't thought about that. My Ibanez has 3 on the bottom and 2 on the top. But while the further string on the Ibby is shorter than the G string on my 4- string Jazz Bass the lower strings are longer on the Ibby than the Jazz Bass. Do string manufacturers list the lengths of their strings as well as gauge?

6. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Where you may run into problems using regular long scale strings on a 35" is on the E or B strings where the taper doesn't make it past the nut. I only use Elxirs and on my previous Valenti 5-string and my current Lakland DJ5, I have to use their extra long scale strings on 35" scale basses so that the correct part of the string is situated in the nut.

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    first of all, you need to learn about measuring the required string winding length of your bass:
    Finding the correct string length for your electric bass from BassStringsOnline.

next, you also need to be familiar with is the fact that long scale strings are varied among string manufacturer:
    Electric Bass String Winding Lengths by Manufacturer from BassStringsOnline.com

then judging from your other posts which you mention of having an Ibanez BTB675, which is indeed a 35" scale bass and it has Mono Rail II bridges, IME with other BTB which has the same scale length and bridges, it needs strings with at least 37" winding length to clear pass the nut.

these are why you can use DR Pure Blues (which I assumed the long scale variant) without getting any problem when stringing them on your BTB, since DR long scale has more than enough winding length (38") for your BTB. But if you'd like to use other strings from various manufacturer, please refer to the 2nd link above: With the Elixirs, you need to use their Extra Long Scale variant. With La Bellas and D'Addarios, you might just be okay with their Long Scale variant. But with the GHS, it's different story: GHS long scale string winding length are 36.5" long, but then they changed their long scale variant winding length to 37.25" thus they will be okay for your BTB.

8. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    That's very helpful and exactly the advice I needed. Thanks.

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    No.
    These Ken Smith long scale strings are on a 34"scale bass.
    They were taken off a put on a 35" scale bass.
    20180323_152706.
    The strings were put on this 35" scale bass.
    20180403_104526.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  10. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Rochester, NY
    My Lakland DJ5 takes normal long scale strings. I don’t string through the body though.