1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does a 0 OHM external Markbass tweeter affect your amp's power load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonlattier, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Jonlattier

Jonlattier

Jun 14, 2010
    Cincinnati, Oh
    So I just bought one of those Markbass external tweeters to add to one of my cabs, because I don't get the highs I desire out of it. I have tried playing with the tweeter plugged in, and it sounds great. My only concern is that the tweeter is rated for 0 OHMS. Does that mean that it doesn't register with the amp? Or does it decrease the power handling? The cab I am currently running through is rated for 8OHMs. If anybody knows if this will cause any problems when I am driving my amp, that would be greatly appreciated.

2. It will be fine. Insignificant, piezo ohm ratings. Regard it as 0 ohms, just as marked.

3. Sounds like it is a piezo tweeter not a dynamic driver horn. Piezo tweeters are "seen" by an amp as more of a capacitance load than a resistance (or impedance) load.

It should have been stamped "~ ohms" as 0 would be a dead short and the amp would not work at all.

4. Btw, I've kind of wanted one of those....does it sound nice?

5. dunnie

dunnie

Feb 2, 2008
    Hi. I looked on the Mark Bass Website and there are no technical specs. but it has to be a piezo tweeter. These are high impedance and don't pose any threat to the amp.

6. Jonlattier

Jonlattier

Jun 14, 2010
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Thanks guys, I'm always concerned about the well-being of my gear.

Yeah, the tweeter sounds good. I don't like it quite as much as the Titanium bullet tweeter I have on 2 of my Schroeder Cabinets, but it sounds pretty darn good, especially since I play a lot of slap bass.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It should have a minimum 4ohm resistor inline with the + wire for amp protection.

What do they charge for a piezo in a box? You can get piezo's for like $2 each retail.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Way way too much Will.

9. Just to nit pick: A Piezo tweeter has infinite Ω, 0Ω is a short circuit. In the context of how MarkBass is using it, 0Ω just means that it's impedance can be ignored.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    My $2 ones or the Markbass box? :D

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ok...I did a quick search and found some mention of it on basschat UK as being 50 english pounds about 3 years ago. That's well over 50 bucks.

If that's still even remotely accurate, holy profit batman, I need to get in the brightbox business. :D

12. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    It's not quite as simple as a piezo in a box...There's a special component on it that generates most of the cost. They are not readily available in the retail market as a stand alone item. It's a plate that says "Markbass"! :bag:

:D:bassist:
    Not knocking Mark Bass gear. I'm a proud owner (although not of the tweeter) and think it's worth every penny!! Just having some fun!

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    As soon as I started reading your post I started thinking of the logo....turns out you were too. :D

Not to harp on the OP or anything, just some of us have an idea of the true cost here.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

MarkBass loves MarkUp. I have the official cover for my 410, when I called L&M to order it the guy on the phone actually prefaced it with "Are you ready for this?" It was just shy of $170 for a cover... my Epifani 310 cover was $80ish (plus shipping) for comparison...

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Reminder to self.....upsell custom covers for my brightboxes. :)

16. Jonlattier

Jonlattier

Jun 14, 2010
    Cincinnati, Oh
    On that note, maybe some of you guys might be able to give me some advice on the internal tweeter in the cab, which was the reason I bought the external piezo in the first place.

The cab has a built in 200 watt titanium bullet tweeter. I have the same tweeter on some other cabs, and it sounds wonderful. But this particular cab just doesn't have the snappy crisp highs that my other cabs do. I am not sure if this is a problem with the resistance of the tweeter itself, or if it has something to do with the crossover, but I can hardly get the internal tweeter to speak up unless I crank the highs on my amp to 11 AND turn my active bass treble knob all the way up.

What do you guys think could be the problem? (Maybe I should have asked this in the first place before spending $60 on an external tweeter).

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Some possibilities....

1. Blown protection lamp. This is a little lightbulb looking fuse on the circuit board. If you crank a lit of highs, it might've done it's job and blew to protect the tweeter. Cheap replacement.

2. Bad/loose connection on the filter/circuit board.

3. Wire fell of the tweeter.

4. Blown tweeter. If that's the case, you should be able to source a replacement diaphram, which is the tweeters little internal voice coil/cone assembly. That should be cheaper than buying a whole new tweeter.

Have to open up the cab and check those things.

18. Jonlattier

Jonlattier

Jun 14, 2010
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Thanks Will. I'll look into that, but I just got the cab a month ago, so I don't think it is anything to do with excessive use, but I will open up the cab and see if any wires are dangling.

19. Note to Will,
    Make your brightbox a vertical array of piezos.
    Bill discovered that one years ago, with his boxes.
    It makes an otherwise crappy single piezo into a formidable HF array, with a much smoother response.

Wire in varying series/parallel to get the power handling/sensitivity required.
    Good catch on the 4-ohm 10w series resistor.
    Some power amps will oscillate in the uhf range without that resistor.

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    May not be excessive use by you, but if it isn't brand new, ya never know. Even if it is brand new, it got here from Italy somehow. Could've got knocked around being shipped, or some corrosion causing bad contact, etc.