1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does a 7 piece body/neck sound different to 5 piece?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Wilson, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Buying a new bass and confused as to what body or neck type. It comes standard with 5 piece, but there is a 7 piece option. I was told they sound different? I don't want to compromise the growl.
    Any help or opinions welcome

2. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    It's very doubtful that the 7 piece vs. 5 piece neck is directly responsible for any noticeable and consistent tonal difference. There are many other factors that have more significant effects. IMHO.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, like pickups and preamps.

4. Munji, have you ever noticed a difference that big, when it comes to neck laminates? Like, say, 5 strips of maple/wenge vs 7 strips of maple/wenge?

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    No sir, I have not. I think it's pretty much cosmetics, although some may make some kind of argument for greater stability. I have, however, noticed BIG differences in sound from various pickups and electronics, hence, my comment.

6. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I have a bunch of basses and in my opinion you will hear no difference in 5 or 7 piece necks. The basses I have heard with the most (what I think is growl) are Warwick and Spector basses and we are talking 1 to 3 max piece necks. I think like already mentioned pickups and strings and most of all your fingers and how you use them will have more effect on tone/growl than how many pieces of wood used in neck construction.

You can change pickups and strings and preamps so I wouldnÂ’t sweat that so much as what woods are being used, bolt-on or neck-through necks and overall quality of the build is what I would be more concerned with when placing my custom order. Even then I think listening to different builders basses. Different builders with the same woods can have basses that sound completely different. I think more than 3 pieces in a neck is just cosmetic and more glue and money that I would have rather spent on fingerboard choice which I think can have WAY more of a role in the tone.

7. I think neck laminates have more to do with stability than tone.

8. Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your help. I love this forum. Cheers heaps

9. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    IME ...the comparisons were with all neck through instruments...now...5-7 comparison..there was little to no difference, but the 3 piece neck to 7 piece neck...yes ...quite dramatic difference...more compression...Stability?..hard to tell they were not my instruments that I was testing...but as Munji said "pickups/preamp etc" would greatly affect tone ...absolutely...The question i ask myself is that..can the amp/ pickup combo more greatly affect tone than a 7 piece neck...guranteed!!....saying that..I ordered a 7 piece neck on my Fbass AC6.LOL...i do it for the Awww factor!!LOL
    **the other thing i forgot to mention is all instruments were oil finished...no lacqer or painted surfaces...**

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I notice a bit of a difference between bolt on and neck thru, but never even thought about there being a difference in tone between a 5 and a 7 piece neck. Hell, many of us can't even tell the difference between maple and rosewood in an audio test.

Some people have waaaayyyy too much time on their hands.:bag:

Seriously.... new strings, new PU, a replacement preamp and to a much much lesser extent a replacement bridge will make a difference in tone.

11. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Agreed with the above.

That said, I prefer one piece necks for the smoother feel.

12. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Once the neck construction reaches a certain level of quality any 'improvements' ,if any, will be marginal.

13. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

Sep 24, 2011
    Hawaii
    Most of mine are one piece. My Ken Smith is 3 piece and
    neck through. The multi-laminate is both cosmetic and
    promotes neck stability. Although my 1 piece necks seem
    to be just as stable. As long as it plays well and sounds good,
    the number of wood pieces making up the neck really doesn't
    matter too much.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'd rather invest the extra cash on a nice coffee-table top where people can see it while I'm playing. The only people who are going to see the stripes in that neck are gearheads like me who come up on your break to check it out.

15. Ah, gotcha and agreed.

Personally, I don't dig look of multi-laminate necks unless it's limited to 2 major woods and veneers like Roscoe's. I prefer more uniform necks (either one piece or multiple pieces of the same wood). Like Munji, I'd rather have that cash go elsewhere in bass.

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What about this?

Rainbowpics.

17. Keep it around in case the fireplace needs to be used?

18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    That would've been my guess too.

OTOH, Alembic claims that using ebony instead of purpleheart for the stringers in their neck laminates increases the audible level of the fundamental (sic).

Not sure if that's a complete pile of snakeoil designed to sell a ~$1,000 upcharge, or if they're just in a privileged position where they can build almost identical instruments & compare sonic minutiae.

19. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    you'd come and see me at break?...gosh..."then its Totally worth it"...LOL;):hyper:

20. aqsw

aqsw

May 28, 2006
    +1