Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does a bass from NAMM have more value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Santa Kraut, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Last sunday I ordered a black Jackson CMG from guitarxpress.com for $610 with hardshell case and shipping. Monday night I got a call saying they didn't have any black CMGs but they had some other colors. One color that stood out was Gun Metal Grey, as Jackson does't offer it standard with CMGs and it also happens to be one of my favorite colors they offer next to Black Pearl.

Anyways, I was talking to the guy that owns the company and he said the bass on display at NAMM and he bought it there. He says it has a label on it saying such and what not. Now assuming the guy isn't BSing would this mean the bass would have more value down the road should I deciede to hang up my boots and sell off all my gear?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not more or less, but it could mean that it's an unusual instrument (hence the color). My brother Pat has a red Spector guitar that was shown at the NAMM show (I think it's from the Kramer Spector era), it's fantastic. Spector only ever made 9 of them as a demo for NAMM, it never made it to production.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Many times manufacturers will bring instruments
    to show at NAMM, to get feedback on, or to take
    orders from. MANY TIMES, they take the feedback
    from the show to improve the product before they
    make a run of the product. Sooo.... not always, but
    many times the product at the show is not as good as
    the finished product that comes out months later.
    Sometimes they make a few special things just for
    the show. For the most part though, no extra value.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would have thought it mean it had been tried by a large number of people and wacked about a bit - I would think it should lower the value if anything!!

5. Another thing: Instruments (or any other gear) brought to the NAMM show are often prototypes or sampes of a production pilot run and may not be representative of the 'refined' finished product.
    For example, Peavey brought the new 1600 head to the LA show and it wasn't even a working model...they simply wanted to put it in front of the potential buyers.
    My .02...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Using history as an indicator - it's the bass that makes the color more collectible, not vice versa.

In other words, the instrument has to be highly desirable to begin with, no matter what the color. If it is, the unusual color could add to the value considerably.

Pawn shops are full of "losers" with crazy colors and designs. But the instruments aren't worth much because the instruments aren't very desirable to begin with.

Just my opinion, based on past experience.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know of at least a couple builders who mark down their sale prices for the basses at NAMM. Maybe this is the reason...

8. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    In my opinion, I wouldn't buy one that was shown at NAMM if the person selling is charging a new price. They are displayed and are there for people to try out and I would consider them a demo or used model. On the other hand, some companies may have a cream of the crop version with very nice wood or color to show. It really depends on what you are looking at however, I still would not pay a new price for one.

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I don't think it adds or subtracts from the value of the instrument. However, in the case of highend basses, I'd say luthiers typically build very exotic basses to show at NAMM. Usually the tops are hand picked and a great deal of EXTRA attention goes into the detailing and setup of the instrument.

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I think that it really depends on the luthier.

If it is a high end cat, the bass is might have, some 'special' element (mojo) that they might be introducing that year... Or Prototype, like what Lenny was saying.... If it is a mass-producer, it could be of 'less-than-stellar' condtion: cause MEGA-guitarco was rushing to send 200 to NAMM.

I guess there are probably other scenerio's...

My Warrior is a 2001 100th anniversary, has this big medallion thing inlayed in the side of it...I actually am not into that Medallion, wished it was some funky inlay or something... but for the price, I really couldn't complain.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually they probably do this so that they don't have to ship the instrument home. hassle, potential damage, and extra cost all combine to provide an incentive to carry home as little as possible.

12. I can agree with that. I picked up one of Mike Lull's NAMM basses last month. In this case, it was a special white pearl finish with pearl block inlays on the neck and matching headstock (see photo below). When I ordered it, he re-strung it and re-set-it-up (re-set-upped-it?).....anyway, he checked it over real good! ;)

The price was good and it sounds great. But the price only reflects the upgrades, with no "mystique" price from being a NAMM bass.

[​IMG]

Randy

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

WOWZ, you have that up at your place in Woodstock? Man, I have to get up there soon and try it out...

Nordie, nordie, nordie....

:D

14. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i got my Zon 519 fretless at NAMM 2003.

i wouldn't consider it used or a demo, as Joe and Mark are like pitbulls when people try the Zon gear.

Zon may be the exception, however, i've seen guys slink up with their tails between asking to try a Zon.

f