1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

does a bass with an AUDERE PREAMP play passively also?..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by quadrogong, Jul 26, 2007.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    if so, how's the sound passively?
    is it a nice,pure passive signal with a good passive tone control?
    thnx,
    Kev

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    funny you should ask. I did some critical listening of the active/passive switch with my Audere equipped roscoe last night.

In passive mode, everything except the volume knob is bypassed, even the pickup blend knob. You essentially get a 50/50 split blend of the 2 pu's, and a volume control only.

Tonally, its decent. I very rarely use a 50/50 blend on this bass (85% of the time, I use the bridge PU only), so its not something I would use functionally, but as a battery failsafe (which was how the passive function was described to me by David Meadows) its more than adequate. In mid Z mode with everything flat and the blend in the center, the tone is very close from active to passive.

Hope that helps somewhat..

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    In Mid Z and set flat there's very little difference between both passive and active.

4. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Passive is really passive - you can remove the battery...

Mid Z-Mode with tone controls flat does sound the same or it would with an "Ideal" cable and amp.

You can have bridge only in passive:

Look at your A/P switch - on 1 side (blue dot) is 4 terminals
    Grey/White
    The next 3 are shorted with a bare wire.

Look at the center row.
    It probably goes:
    Green/White (pu common) aligned with Grey/White
    Blue/White (neck pu)
    Black/White (bridge pu)
    Yellow/Grey (output)

Ok - Back to the row with the short.
    That bare wire shorts
    Neck PU to Bridge PU to OUTPUT

Cutting the wire in between the Neck PU and Bridge PU will create

Bridge PU to OUTPUT (so no Neck PU)

You now have a bridge only passive mode.

If your switch has reversed Blue/White with Black/White on the center pins then
    Remove the existing bare wire short and jump around the neck position with a new wire.

David

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Thats great Dave, Thanks! I'll check it out.

Maybe I should try this, because most of the time, I play the bridge pu in mid Z mode with the EQ relatively flat. If passive mode matched that setup, it would be better for me.

6. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    ok, so it sounds like..if I planned to play passively a good amount of the time,I should taker the Audere out. no blend,no tone control..

I'm looking at a bass w an audere in it, but it looks like it's not as versatile as the sadowsky pre in passive mode.

I've recently decided that my Sadowsky is sweeter in passive mode, I used to use just a tiny bit of bass boost,but now that I turn off the pre altogether, it seems more responsive,dynamic,less "EQ-ed" and just generally,easier on the ears..
    I find the less eq i stick in there, the bigger i can get the bass to sound.

7. CaneyBoniface

CaneyBoniface

Feb 17, 2015
    Malaysia
    Any diagram for push pull volume for active passive?