Does a Cheap Short Scale, solid body, 24 reachable frets exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Mar 7, 2006.

1. I have already searched all the threads including the ones where folks show off their pretty custom short scales. I just don't have the money for those now.

I would probably just hotrod an SX but I really would like more frets and better upper fret access. I sometimes want to sneak in those upper register triads.

Any ideas - I need to keep this cheap

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Does a Dano Longhorn work for you? They are semi hollow, 24 frets and cheap.
  3. Yamaha motion b m2.

32" scale 24 frets, bought mine for 120 used.

Find one and you'll be all set.
  4. sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    dean has a nice short scale single cut with 24 frets and plays like a dream I was going to actually buy this bass, but then I remembered I really don't need another 4 string bass
  5. Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I love my Dano but it doesn't work for some styles I want to try and it is not the best look for being taken seriously in certain venues. There are also some comfort issues -especially for girls- and technical issues with the Dano. I wrote a whole long post about this but lost it.

I will take a look at the Dean and Yamaha. I've never seen either one before. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
  6. I'm bumping this because I still have not found what I am looking for. Maybe it does not exist. I am stubborn so I don't want to believe that.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Damn, I was gonna say Dano too. Other than that all I can think of to say is...don't go with the Dean. Some of Dean's models look like they'd be just fine, but I've played the Evo. It's not so great.
  8. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    What's "cheap"? What are you looking to spend?
  9. jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I see it... your future

10. This reminds me of an old bass players joke - How many bass players does it take to count up to 24? At least a couple of folks here can't.;)

Gad that heart thing is ugly.

What I woud really like is something akin to a mini version of the old Bass Collection shape - maybe with a less ugly lower horn.

11. Maybe a used Stu Hamm Urge bass?
  12. Fletch,
    That one is on my list to try - may be too pricey but I always have to try before I decide because if something is just right, I will find a way. I won't buy something without trying unless maybe it is something in the SX price range with a lot of good reviews. I may go for an SX, knowing that it is not my final stop and then just keep cruising the music stores.

I did just find a local place that has the Dean Evo in stock so I will give that a try. I am afraid it may be uncomfortable - slab body and the strap peg up around the 15th fret also does not bode well afa balance goes but I still like to try things because you never know.

13. Now that I have been reading reviews on the Dean I'm starting to get interested. Especially after putting on my Dano, realizing that strap button is at the neck heel - not on the horn and figuring that any solid body has to be thinner that the masonite wonder.

Hope to give a review next week.

14. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Any updates to this thread?
  15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The ampeg dan armstrong RI... the cutaway is in the 24th fret.
  16. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Except it's 22 frets, not 24.