1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does a company make a cable like this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, May 9, 2004.

  1. davelowell


    Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    I was wondering if any company made a cable that goes 1/4" to dual 1/4'. You know, so I only need one cable to go from my amp to two cabs. The two cabs only have one input each, so no daisy chain, and the amp has only one output.

    Or could one be made? In parallel, so that the two cables come together into one at the amp?

    Thanks, Dave
  2. DWBass

    DWBass The Funkfather

    Not so sure that would be a good solution although it would be a quick fix. Why don't you try modifying the jack panels on your cabs or at least one of them.

    Check out this page.
  3. Limo


    Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    But the amp still has only one output.
  4. Transverz

    Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

    May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm almost positive that all major big name cable manufacturers have a single 1/4" to split mono 1/4" cable. It may not be available at all stores, but I'm sure they make them.

    I think no matter whether you find a cable that has this conveniently done already, or if you find a Y-adapter to split your signal, wouldn't there a problem of reduced output? Not sure about that one...

    But yeah, you could conceivably do that. Not sure about the end results though.

  5. I don't know what your amp is, but if it only has one output (speaker) jack, that may be an indicator that the amp may not be rated to run into a 4 ohm load. Most amps that can run 4 ohms (or lower) will have two jacks in anticipation of your wanting to run two cabs (two 8 ohm cabs equals a 4 ohm load).

    What does the back of the amp say on the speaker jack, usually it'll say xxx watts at 8 ohms or yyy watts at 4 ohms....

    Trying to plug two 8 ohm cabs into an amp that cannot run a 4 ohm load, can be hazardous to your amp.
  6. davelowell


    Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    It can run 4 ohms, just thought about getting the cable, instead of modding my jack on one cab. I think I will do the mod, but hoping for a cable fix.

    Thanks for the help, Dave
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

    BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

    Sep 7, 2000
    What kind of amp and cabinets are we talking about here? Your SVT and Mesa or something not in your profile?
  8. josh_m


    May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I have seen them but don't know the name of the company. You need a Mono 1/4" to 2 Mono 1/4", if you get a Stereo 1/4" to 2 Mono 1/4" the cab that is run into the cable supplying the ring wont be doing much. Unless your amp has a stereo output. I'm pretty sure you can buy a Y-adaptor and a coupler (F-F coupler. 2-F/1-M adapter) at radio shack and set it up like that... or you could always just go and make your own cable.
  9. davelowell


    Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    Billy, it's the SVT, but with two mesa cabs.

    Thanks guys and gals, I think I will try making my own cable. I have all the parts I need, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

  10. atldeadhead


    Jun 17, 2002
    I've got a similar cable that I use to run a PLX 1202 to two GS112's. I could daisy chain but I didn't want too.

    I get all my cables from this place: Pro Cables N Sound. You've probably seen their ad here on talkbass. They've made several cables for me. They are very helpful and friendly and their cables are top notch. All of their stuff is custom made. Check 'em out.


    If you don't see exactly what you need, send them an email with a description of what you want and they'll send you a quote on the price. Tell 'em that I referred you.
  11. Robman


    Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    If you can't find a cable, try an AB/Y switch and run it in the Y position.
  12. DWBass

    DWBass The Funkfather

    That's okay though. Your amp should be able to run at 4ohms so in the interest of playing it safe (cable wise), I would mod one cabs' jack panel to allow for daisy chaining.
  13. I would go for the Y-cable solution as it works and is less permanent than the mod. Alternatively, modify one of the cabs to have a parallel jack (most cabs these days do anyway).
  14. If you amp is rated to handle the Impedance of the two cabs together, then there is nothing "Less Safe" about a Y cable.

    The amp see the load exactly the same as if you had two output jacks.
    Go ahead and get one and use it, no need to mod your cabs
  15. xcental34x


    Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    With a visit to Radio Shack, anything is possible. :hyper:
  16. TheAmpNerd


    Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

    I can do that for you. I only have the large body switchcraft 1/4 inch plugs, these are expensive. The ugly part will be
    the union where the 2 pair of 12 gauge wire connects.

    These plugs have the screw terminals inside them...
    I also solder them for extra strength. Your two 8 ohm
    cabs would then look like 4 ohms to your amp.

    Let me know the exact cable lengths you need,
    you can PM me, I couldn't figure out how to do it here.


  17. That's a VERY dangerous propostition since an A/B/Y switch shorts when you change it. Even though you wouldn't be using the switches, some idiot could always mess with it. It's actually more dangerous to a solid state amp than a tube amp, but no amp likes to see output impedance changes that go from an instantaneous dead short to a load. All you need is one cable with two leads from each post on the connector that splits off into two individual connections.

    You CANNOT use a "stereo" TRS to dual mono splitter. There aren't many amps that have a TRS output jack because such a configuration is also VERY dangerous. Think out it: two amps going through ONE jack. The only one I can think of is SWR's Black Beauty combo with a TRS arrangement for the tweeter/woofer so it doesn't have to have a passive crossover.
  18. davelowell


    Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    Spike, check your PM's.

    Thanks, Dave
  19. josh_m


    May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Confused about that, If you use a TRS plug in a regular jack it makes no differance, the jack just won't supply any power to the ring. Thats how Stereo 1/8" - Mono 1/4" adaptors work, they lose the signal from the ring. So it's not dangerous to use the cable, the setup would be dangerous if the output jack were TRS, but since it's not the ring will be ignored.
  20. The TRS connector will short much sooner if it gets accidentally jarred because of the ring division. Besides that, if you attempt to use a "stereo" TRS cable, only one extension will work, the same a regular speaker cable.
    Anyways, the major danger is for an amp output wired TRS, not using the TRS connector. I guess I didn't make that clear