1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does a Cracked Neck affect the sound?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TubeMaker, May 16, 2011.

1. TubeMaker

TubeMaker

Jan 30, 2011
    hello My neck has cracked and the luthier repaired it. Will this affect the sound? The crack was very slim (fenderjazz) near the trussroad line. Let me know your opinion please.

thx

2. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    I highly doubt that it would have any effect on the sound of the instrument as long as it was repaired well.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Um - does it sound any different now?

4. Everything effects the sound. However, 99% of it is not percievable to the human ear. One person may claim he hears a difference and others say they do not. In other words, can you hear a difference? If not, don't worry about it. You will always be the most critical listener of your own personal bass.

5. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    I had an early 70's Les Paul I toured with in the 90's that had the common Les Paul head stock repair.

I couldn't tell the difference between before and after the repair except for when
    I looked at it.

6. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    i have read that the neck is even stronger when its repaired as to affecting the sound i guess it all depends..

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    When a cracked or broken piece of wood is properly repaired, that area will be the strongest part of the piece of wood. On something like a neck, this is modified to mean in any area of the neck with the same mass.

In simple terms, the neck at the nut will be stronger than it was, but the neck at the heel will still remain stronger than the nut area. And that same was/is true of an unbroken neck, more wood = stronger than less wood.

And certainly the repaired area will not break in that exact spot again! The wood may break next to or near the repair, but not the repair itself. of course if one keeps breaking a neck, one must rethink their handling/care of said instrument.

I have never had a properly glued/repaired piece of wood break again, both in terms as a cabinet maker and repairs to an instrument.

8. TubeMaker

TubeMaker

Jan 30, 2011
    thanks for sharing!