Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does a DPDT Push/Pull Pot Fit in a Geddy?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by karter2000, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hi all,

I have a Geddy Lee jazz, and I'm planning to do the series/parallel mod with a push/pull pot. However, I've been looking inside the control cavity, and I'm not sure there is even room for the pot. The Geddy has a metal grounding plate at the bottom of the control cavity. Has anyone done this mod to their Geddy? Does the pot in fact fit? I was planning on replacing the neck volume.

Thanks,

Lyle

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I replaced the tone on mine, just because that was the scmenatic that I had to do it. It fits, but it is tight.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    depends on size of switch and depth/width of control cavity. also depends on how good/bad you are are soldering.

4. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but a few related and specific questions of my own.

1) For those that put push-pull pots into their Geddy, who's pots did you use / what is the depth of them? I've used StewMac ones before, and to my measurements they might be a tad too deep. More below.

2) If you got them to fit, did you do so by adjusting the "underneath" nut to have the shaft stick out of the control plate more?

3) And if yes to the above, does it look OK with the knob you installed? I'll be replacing the GL's knobs with chrome dome knobs, so I'm wondering if others did so too, and by doing so if they were able to hide some of the extra shaft that is jutting out.

I've got DiMarzio Model Js that I'll be installing, and I'd love to wire it series/parallel as DiMarzio has in their diagram (I think they called it "dual sound". It involves two DPDT push-pull pots).

Having recently done the series/parallel mod to my SX jazz, and remembering that I had to take out some wood to make room for the push-pull pot fit to my liking, I was worried about the Geddy -- I'd like *not* to carve it up, and since it has a ground plate at the bottom of the cavity that presents another dilemma.

On the SX, if I hadn't done the carving the pot would have stuck out leaving the tone knob noticeably higher off the control plate. Would like to avoid that!

Thanks!
    HooBass

5. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    I used the StewMac one on my Geddy, and had the same depth issue. Right now it sticks out a bunch; I was thinking of routing it a little deeper under the tone pot. I'd have to cut the ground plate off underneath it though.

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I also had to carve a hole into my cavity for the DPDT pot to fit into my SX. Well, it fit, but i didnt feel like having the knob 2 inches off the bass*slight exageration. I think what you might be able to do is get two DPDT swiches instead of the pots and use a blend instead of VVT it would be Master Volume/Blend/Tone with 2 switches. But how to wire this, im not sure.

7. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Thanks guys -- kind of bad news, but better to know in advance. Incidentally, I web-searched push-pull pots to see if I could find alternatives that wouldn't go so deep into the cavity, but so far have found nothing.

If all else fails, I might just wire it up standard (no push-pull pots). That was always Plan A, but I just started salivating thinking of alternatives.

Talk soon,
    HooBass