Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does a QSC RMX 850 need a certain rack case?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Dec 19, 2004.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I went to Guitar Center today to get a rack for my QSC RMX 850, and they told me it would not fit in a 6 space. THey said i need a 8 space...are they insane or is this true???

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ah, Guitar Center.....

Well, unless they have different depths it shouldn't make a difference. If the 6-space has say, a 10/5" depth, and the 8-spacer has a depth greater than that, it may make sense. Otherwise I believe that they are feeding you crap.

3. You can use anything that is 2 spaces spaces or over, and is the right depth. There isn't much (if any) variation in width, so GC is full of shiz.

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the first rack that i got was about 6" too shallow for my 850. whatever SKB i ended up with is 4 spaces and very nice

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I got a rack bag for mine and it was too shallow. They are pretty deep. They probably meant the only racks that "they" sold deep enough for your amp was an 8 space rack.

6. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ahh, I see. I was looking into "Road Ready" cases. I think they would fit. Has anyone ever used these?

7. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    You can fabricate some spacers and use longer screws, and take advantage of the wasted room in the cover, by moving the amp forward. My qsc amp sticks out of the front of my rack but the cover fits just fine.

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a Road Ready and it works fine. I have the effects depth one which is a bit shallow (hangs out the back but I can still close the lid). They make a deeper one so if you have a choice get that.

9. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Hey Dub. Thanks, I'm going to try to get the deeper one. I just don't want it to be ridiculously deep. The doods at GC also said the Sansamp RBI is discontinued... is this true as well?

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have a Road Ready 6U rack for my RMX1450. It sticks out of the back by an inch or two... but the lid fits over it.

Guitar Center is shady sometimes. Forget what they say.

11. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    haha. yea, f-gc. end of story

12. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I have an RMX 850 that fits just fine in my roady ready case. Albeit my rack is an 8-spacer. But the depth works just fine. Not too sure what was going on with GC. As long as the rack is deep enough, the 850 will fit in a 2-spacer without a problem. Hmmm ...

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The RMX 850 is 40 cm (15.9 in) deep and 2 rack spaces high. Get a case that is high enough and deep enough for the amp and whatever else you want to put in it.

14. I have an RMX850 with an SKB Roto-X 8-space case and it fits perfectly with plenty of room left. I imagine the 6-space would be roughly the same. If you go to GC, don't buy into their first price, I got mine for $85!! :hyper: :cool: It normally goes for about $140, so the guy gave me a pretty good deal. You should be able to talk 'em down to pretty close to that.

Here's the link to the case I've got:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/544581/

Hope that helps

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have an RMX850 that I keep in a 4 rack space bag. Why 4? Two spaces for for the RMX850, one for my single space digital effects box , and one empty space in between to let the RXM850 breathe.

16. Here's what mine looks like with the 8 space rack. It has the RMX850/BBE BMax/Korg Tuner/Power conditioner. All that space can get used up really quick, so 8 was a good choice for me.

Attached Files:

17. That looks like a 6 space rack to me.

My 850 fits (just barely) in my standard 8 space SKB. I have to unplug the power cord to get the back lid on, but it's not like I need power when my rack is sitting in the back of a van.

18. My bad. It is the 6 space, but I still have plenty of room behind my 850 though and everything stays plugged in with the lids on too.

19. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I use a Cadence 4 space for my RMX850 and Furman PL-Tuner. I use a right angle power cord so I don't have to unplug the amp from the Furman. I have to unplug the speaker cables though, especially if I decide to stack the banana plugs(so I can run bridged into both of my Mesa Diesel cabs which only have single 1/4" jacks).

20. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    That's a solid rack, man I'm going to miss mine when it's gone :bawl: