1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does a tool exist to cut the threads on a stripped truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 80jazz, Aug 17, 2017.

1. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I have a 5-string Fender Jazz that I have removed the nut from, but it won't seem to take a replacement nut. One person I took it to wondered if there was not enough room on the rod to start a new nut, and another place wondered if the truss rod end was stripped. Assuming the latter is the case, is there anything that would fit down on the rod to clean this up without taking the rod out?

Thanks in advance.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
  3. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Indeed I am worried that is my only option for saving this neck (outside of truss rod removal and replacement).

4. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I have a tool that I made just for that purpose, a special die that fits down in the space of the truss rod nut, and cleans up the threads on the truss rod. I only have them for 10-32 and 12-24 threads though, no metrics.

But, usually the problem with reinstalling a Fender truss rod nut is because the rod has moved a little to the side in the hole. So you're not getting the threads in the nut lined up right.

A trick that usually works: Put the nut down in the hole, with the Allen wrench in the socket. Push it down in until you feel it contact the end of the truss rod. With a small hammer, tap lightly a few times on the back of the Allen wrench, while turning the Allen wrench slowly in the reverse direction (counterclockwise). This should push the end of the rod into the center, and start it engaging the threads. When you feel it click, then start turning the Allen wrench clockwise.

Dug2 likes this.
  5. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I have seen a post of yours similar to that, but may have missed some instructions. I bet the counterclockwise thing really helps.

6. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The MIM Fender 5 strings have a larger truss rod size than the 4 strings. I learned this the hard way when I tried to use a normal MIM truss rod nut to replace a stripped one. It literally cracked the nut in half. Angela Instruments has the larger size nut that you might need.

7. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    i would take my basses to you