Does Aguilar obp-3 cut through the mix?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Aug 6, 2005.

1. I know there are about a million posts here about different preamps...particularly the bart and aggie, but I'm not too sure what to search for in order to not get all the thousands of posts containing the Aguilar obp-3.
    I'm installing some bartolini 9k#1's (jazz pups) in my bass (mahogany) and it looks like I'm going to pair it with an aguilar opb-3. I've heard great things about the lows from it, but I'm wondering how the aggie cuts through the mix. Will the highs still be heard? Anyone have any problems or successes with the Obp-3 and how it cuts through the mix?
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sorry that I can't comment on the obp-3 about cutting through in a mix. I will say that if you're using Bartolini pickups than you may want to check out the Demeter preamp. Bart pickups with a Demeter preamp is one of my all time favorite combonations. It retains the thick sound of the Barts but gives them more clarity. It will also cut through a mix extremely well while adding a big, warm supportive bottom end.

I hope that I'm not detracting from your post. I just wanted to suggest something that has worked incredibly well for me with Bartolini pickups. Also, my bass has a mahogany body as well which adds to the thickness of the sound from my bass. Never ever do I get lost in a mix though.
  3. I appreciate the input. Where's the best place to find info on the demeter preamps? Any models you recomend?
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Aggy is a great preamp, as are Barts, Demeters etc.

The Aggy is transparent with EQ flat, as any good preamp should be IMO, so you won't cut through just by having it in there. You'll need to use the EQ effectively. If you have the mid freq @ 400hz, boosting that will let you cut through nicely. The mids don't affect the highs at all.