Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Aguilar really build cabs, too?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just traded my 4x10 for a Bag End 2x12. I'm liking the 2x12 but I'm thinking that I'm gonna miss my 4x10.

I got a chance, briefly, to play through an Aguilar 4x10 which sounded quite nice. But it was a music store that doesn't allow anything very loud so I couldn't put it through any paces. I thought that it sounded very close to an Eden 4x10xlt but like I said really couldn't get it going. Now the salesman said that when they first got the Aguilar they rounded up 4 or 5 bassists to do a comparison between the Aguilar and the Eden. They are also an Eden dealer. They found that the two cabs sounded almost exactly alike.

Well in my price range I'd be looking at the Aguilar, the Eden and the Bag End. They are about $50 apart in price from what I've found. I really love deep tight lows so my tendency would be to go with the Eden. But I really dig the Bag End stuff that I've accumulated.

Oh well the question was: "does anyone know who builds Aguilars cabs?"

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jerry, I don't know the real answer to 'Does Aguilar really build cabs?', but I do know that the Aguilar 2x10 handles a low B even better than an Eden D210XLT. I played them side by side at pretty loud volume at a local shop.

If this holds true to the 4x10 version, it should have the most bass of any 4x10 that I know of(and I haven't played them all yet!;)).

Unfortunately, I've never run across one of the 4x10s.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The cabs are identical. They're both built by Peavey. Aguilar wanted something that could indisputably compete favorably with the Eden, so they told Peavey to make it exactly like the ones they make for Eden (with cosmetic exceptions, of course). So just go for the best price and get either one.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've been impressed with Aggie cabs. I played through a 410 and 115 today at moderate volume and it sounded very good. Of course that's one more cab than I'd prefer to drag around;)

On the subject of most bottom from a 410 I'd have to rate the Genz Benz 410XB right up there. With those four bottom ports it had way more bottom than I needed.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    And what the heck are you already jonesing over new cabs for? Lakland, Sadowsky, Eden ... c'mon, I'll NEVER be able to keep up, given the current state of the economy. My birthday is next week, and it's the first one in recent history that is not producing a new bass. Fudge.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine's next week too...but I celebrate it all year;)

7. embellisher

Are you sure Munji?:confused:

I could have sworn that Eden and Aguilar cabinets were made by Rogue!

Now I'm really :confused:

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'll let you in on a little secret ... Peavey makes Rogue, too. It's their high-end line. So you weren't far off the mark.

9. I had the pleasure of playing the 200 watt Aguilar head through one of their 4x10's, in a store where the owner encourages you to crank stuff up.

Even though I was playing a cheap bass (the store had a pretty poor bass selection at the time, but it's since gotten a lot better, unfortunately the Aguilar cab is gone) I'd have to say I was playing with the best tone I have ever had. I had it up half way with all EQ flat.

10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Are you pulling my leg? Peavey?

Surprisingly, Aguilar seems to be the least expensive of the three. But not by much. It looks like I'm going to have to take a day trip up to BassNW to have a listen. Peavey???

11. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Made by Peavey?? How sure are you about that? Eden has, to my knowledge, been making cabs up there in Montrose for a long time.

I do know who *designed* the Aguilar cabs, and it wasn't Peavey, so the idea that Aguilar went to Peavey and said "make something identical" is a little hard to believe.

Besides, the Aguilars do perform a little better than the Edens in side-by-side tests... the low B (if you have one) comes out a little tighter and less muddy.

Still, I don't know everything and if Peavey is somehow involved, I'll eat my proverbial hat...

Nightbass

12. If Peavy did in fact design the Aguilar, why wouldn't they design one for their own company instead of someone else's?

13. I was actually about to post that link myself. Looks like a real steal if you used buy it now. Too bad I'm looking for a 2x10 and not a 4x10.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I believe that crackling sound you hear is the sound of our virtual legs being pulled.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Peavey doesn't design the cabs, they manufacture them to Eden and Aguilar's specs. It's just that Aguilar requested the same specs as Eden, so that they could say that anyone who says Eden is better is full of beans, since they're the same cabinet. Trust me on this.

16. embellisher

Why of course we trust you, Munji!

You're one of the most trustworthy people on here, and would never joke around about stuff like this!:)

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    ... and that's a natural fact.

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Uhmm
    What Speakers are inside of the Eden Cabs??
    And If Peavey really makes Eden Cabs.. then why People just dont like the 410TVX?
    I do like it , but since Im not a Peavey Dealer I dont get that Incredible price Im used to pay.

19. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Most of the Eden woofers are built by, you guessed it, Eminence, and a few are put together in-house from parts from various manufacturers (including Eminence).

Even if Edens and Aguilars are OEM'ed from Peavey (which is entirely possible), slight differences in the driver parameters and cabinet dimensions would make the Edens sound different from Peaveys and Aguilars. While they may look similar, they are not identical, and don't have the same box tunings.

BTW, Eden has come out with a new D-410XST which looks just like the Aguilar GS-410 (surprise!). When BP reviewed the Aggie they said it went lower and sounded less muddy than the Eden. Well now Eden strikes back with a cab that performs as well as the Aguilar, and maybe even better...

Nightbass