1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does Ampeg make this amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, Aug 31, 2008.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I need solid, clean power capable of earth-shaking lows and plenty of punch. My old B2 had no balls, my SVT3 Pro wasn't the answer, the 4Pro wasn't much better (and weighs a TON), the sacred 2Pro or SVT Classic is too heavy. So what am I left with? I've owned and gigged with all of the above and all sounded great, just either not enough clean power or just way to damn heavy. Maybe the higher end B-series stuff, maybe a Portabass 800? Any suggestion? Please no "Ampeg sucks get a ----- instead". Thanks!

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    You've tried/ruled out every Ampeg head. I'm just curious as to why you wouldn't just look at another brand? Another thing, it could just be your cabinet/

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    suggest you take a look at the Carvin B1500

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    But Ampeg has never, ever been known for "clean power" or "not heavy". Sure, their amps can be run "relatively" clean if you use a super efficient cab and don't crank the amp levels; and sure, they tried to market a lightweight amp in the PortaBass series, which was a commercial failure. But looking for a lot of clean power at a lighter weight from Ampeg is like looking for a race-tuned and gas-efficient Chevy truck. IOW no, Ampeg does not make that amp.

5. Just looking at Ampeg, I think you're really limiting yourself.

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Geez, close-minded much? You've tried a lot of stuff and it isn't working out for you... Why WOULDN'T you look at another brand?

Look into the SVT-6 and SVT-8. Those are both somewhat lighter, much more powerful heads.

If those don't do it for you, you really should look into another brand.

If you want the rock sound with a little bit more clean headroom but capable of getting dirty if you want... you might wanna give mesa a try.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    A CL and your own personal roadie?

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I'd look at a 8pro.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Since you said "clean"...

Find an SVPCL preamp and stick it on top of the power amp of your choice.

It'll do the clean Ampeg thing about as well as it can be done.

I have one sitting on top of a PLX 2402 that'll give 2400W in about a 35 pound package

10. Markbass. that is all.

11. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    +1 to both.

you apparently dont want your sound to have an ampeg sound. then why wont you look at other brands? theres so much out there..your looking for clean power that doesent weigh a ton. how would i describe ampeg? heavy tube amps that sound dirty as hell.

im not going to start listing my personal favorite amps and say to try them, but you really will probobly be happier with a differnt brand amp.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, certainly +1 on an SVT 6Pro, but yeah, if you don't like any of those other Ampegs, try Mesa, or Aguilar, or Markbass, or GK, etc.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you absolutely have to have an Ampeg logo on your amp ( :rolleyes: ) then Steve's suggestion is about the best advice in this thread.

14. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Go Mesa, and you will find salvation!!! :D

PS, I'm not an "Ampeg sucks" guy. I just think all-tube is the only way to go if you're going Ampeg.

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i sold my ampeg for many of the same reasons. so i went with Ashdown. gave me a warm great tone, with serious power, at about the same weight as the 3Pro.
    well worth it. look into it.

16. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Clean and lightweight? Thunderfunk is the way to go.

17. if you cant get satisfaction from ampeg you need to do some soul searching..
    just kidding, but i would go with mesa like that guy said. all tube and everything

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    eden possibly.

19. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    +1

Weighing in at 6 lbs and costing $600 brand new, you just can't go wrong with it. It does "clean" Ampeg very well. Just ask our resident Markbass champion, JimmyM who regularly compares MB with Ampeg rigs.

20. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Buy an Ampeg sticker and put it over the logo of an amp you like better... :smug: