Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does an active preamp/passive pickup combo lead to low output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ChrisMilne, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Hi,

I bought an Ibanez BTB406QM via ebay and it was delivered on Thursday morning. When I played with it with my band on Thursday evening the output seemed quite low (I had to use the passive input on my amp, where i had been expecting to use the active input).
    Since then I've changed the batteries (my first thought was that the batteries might be dead) but the output level is the same- which is about the level of my other fully passive basses.

So, I guess I'd just like to know if everything's ok with the bass, should the output be at a passive level or is something up?

Also, since this is my first active bass, roughly how long would i expect the batteries to last? (i don't want to find myself at a gig with no battery power :meh: )

Thanks for your help
    Chris

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Active basses with monster output are pretty much a thing of the past. Most active EQs have roughly the same output level as a passive one, which is handy if your bass allows to use either active or passive mode.
    BTW, active and passive inputs on an amp usually differ only in impedance, not in sensitivity (some have a pad switch for strong active signals).

Your battery should run for months, provided you unplug your bass when you don't play.
    But it's not a bad idea to keep a spare with you.

3. Thanks, that's exactly what i wanted to hear :)

I guess when i think about it now, i had wondered what'd happen when changing the output (on the bass) from active to passive.