Does an All-Tort Bass Exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I seem like one of the few who lack a strong feeling for or against tortoise shell (or cilantro, for that matter); but clearly, tort has some rabid advocates. I knew of tort pickguards of course; I have seen tort knobs, switch tips, and even tuning keys; and I just learned of the existence of tort pickups. As much as some people love it, you’d think an ALL-TORT!!! bass would exist, but I haven’t seen one. Does such a thing exist? If not, would anybody with sufficient graphics skills care to take a stab at showing us how it might look?

2. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    Do you mean the entire body is made of tort PG material, or the entire front of the body, and maybe the headstock is tort? If the latter, it wouldn't be difficult to do, but it would be a custom job.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  3. nmiller

nmiller

Sep 1, 2010
    Rocky Hill, CT
    Yeah, you can do a full-top veneer, maybe a full-back veneer as well, but a solid tortoise plastic body would be surprisingly expensive. I couldn't find a bass body with veneers like that, but here's a guitar:

00_STV_CTS_A1.jpg

Crispus and Riff Ranger like this.
  4. A9X

A9X Inactive

Dec 27, 2003
    And very heavy I bet. Thinking of the Armstrong perspex basses.

Still don't like it, but it's a lot less *aesthetically jarring* to me than a tort PG on a 3TSB.

Tanner5382 and Riff Ranger like this.
  5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Just throw a neck on a pepperoni pizza? ;)

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    THis DIY mashup is as close as I could get...

Tort Tele Bass small .jpg

Crispus and Riff Ranger like this.
  7. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I had just imagined a skin of tort on every possible surface. As stated in other comments, I suspect a body made entirely of tort pickguard material would weigh a lot, though perhaps not any more than existing lucite bodies.

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Bacoli, Italy
    I will be needing a matching tort fingerboard as well, please. And of course a tort pickguard over the body. I wouldn’t want to scratch that tort body with my aggressive flamenco pick technique.

Oh, is a roasted tort neck a thing?

I wonder how much I would have to pay Spitfire do do the whole shebang?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Riff Ranger likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022