Does an artist's social, political, or moral slant make you dislike them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ironbar, Sep 30, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I hope I'm not starting a ****storm, but I'm really curious about this subject.

I've found over the years that artists I used to like, I now cannot stand after I hear some of the bile that pours out of their mouths regarding issues of the day. Music that I used to love, I now shun or delete from the old iPod just because I get so sick of hearing these people.

It makes me wonder how actors, musicians, and pretty much anyone else who makes their living from public opinion can say and do such idiotic things. You're going to alienate at least some of your current and potentially future audiences.

Am I off base here?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2017
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'd agree with this.
    I used to think that if I loved someone's music, or paintings, for example, that was all that mattered.
    I've come to realise that if an artist chooses to make public political or religious statements, or whatever, I have to factor that into how I feel about them.
    Sometimes I've been happy about this, sometimes not.

Prime example: Rock stars who do everything they can to avoid paying taxes while preaching to their government and the world about social responsibility quickly lose any respect I have for them, and I will stop listening to their music.

3. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Doesn’t really bother me, I’m just happy we live in a county that holds freedom of speech in such high regard. I’ve watched comedians who I find to be the polar opposite of me attack a person who I agree with and I still laugh at it. I don’t agree or disagree with anyone 100% of the time, even my past self. I’ve heard that you don’t ever want to meet your hero, you’ll probably end up not liking them. One exception, I’ve met Stuart Spector on several occasion, and he’s is one very cool guy. I don’t have a problem with anyone expressing their views, I’m adult enough to respectfully disagree or ignore them. I know I’m not alone, one previous band I was in had two conservatives and two liberals, and we disagreed on pretty much every political position. The band lasted nine years and we’re all still good friends. I think I’d be bored to be surrounded by people who completely agree with me. I like having my values tested, everyone needs to reflect periodically.

Ellery, ptg, Deak and 17 others like this.
  4. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I read Clapton's autobiography and now he's an instant channel change. Seemed proud of stepping on the little people, and not just on the way up.

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    That's a fair point @Spent makes about freedom of speech...
    I'm more thinking about blatant hypocrisy, or racism...things which are inherently wrong rather than a mere question of opinion.

6. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I don't mind satire but when they get downright nasty..

smogg likes this.
  7. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I’ve yet to meet someone who does not display hypocrisy, but I get what you mean. I guess I feel more disappointed than hostility towards people who are extreme hypocrites. Either way, if I like someone’s music or humor, that’s pretty much all I care about. I don’t have the time or energy to maintain a blacklist. That being said, there is one musician who I find so revolting that I won’t listen to the music (yeah, I’m comfortable with my hypocrisy). It’s not a great sacrifice, I never really cared for it. Now racism (or sexism, etc.) is a different story. I don’t consider that a political position (not sure anyone would). Causing actual harm to another person (or animals for that matter) is an instant write off for me.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Isn't their lyrics their position?

P. Aaron, smogg, gebass6 and 4 others like this.
  9. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    It depends on how much they dump out into the world. I think music has a lot of politics mixed up with it, but don't preach to me. Bring something to my attention and then move on.
    Of course it is always easier to forgive these things when you agree. That's human nature. However, it is also tiresome how much everyone is looking to jab their thumbs into their fellow human's eye these days. You can say something political without being a jerk.

Deak, Ductapeman, smogg and 1 other person like this.
  10. Yes. Unfortunately when I hear something really crazy out of someone's mouth it makes it it hard to enjoy the art that I previously enjoyed from them, musicians, actors, etc. It has to be REALLY good to ignore it, and it's still hard for me.

chip134, CapnSev and Ductapeman like this.
  11. Yep. Tom Cruise for one.

Not going into details here...but now I'll never watch anything he's in ever again.

Same goes for John Travolta. Never liked him much to start with. But since I found out a few things about him, that sealed the deal. He's on my "ignore" list now.

12. Frankly, I could do without people mixing politics with anything else in today's volatile political climate. It has turned patently hateful and offensive in both directions. I don't even want to hear people who share views I agree with mixing their political views into completely unrelated endeavors.

It used to be considered uncouth to discuss or display politics in other contexts. There are some very good reasons for that. I miss those days.

Even if you are 100% correct, you still run the risk of alienating half your audience. Look at how much more often it confuses, divides, and angers than does any good.

For a perfect example of keeping a lid on it, look no further than TB rules. I respect that.

13. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.

Jimmy Durante

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly, it turns me off when they express any opinion whatsoever regarding the issues of the day....even if they agree with me.

1) What makes you an expert?
    2) I use music to GET AWAY from the issues of the day.
    3) As the OP stated, why would you be idiot enough to possibly alienate half of your potential customers?

15. Stewie

Stewie

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I just don't get it. Whenever I see a bumper sticker for any politician or political party, I figure at least a quarter of the people who see it think the person in the car is wrong, or a fool. I have a sticker in my window that says "BASS" (from Gollihur). My friends think it is about fish :)

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I've found that (with a very few exceptions) the less I know about a particular artist, the more I like their work. I'm not put off by their politics so much as I'm turned off by their personalities.

It is a shame though that political discussion has become taboo in so many circles. In the past, political discussion and debate was what intelligent and educated people did. Today, people value their personal comfort zone far more than dealing with issues, so it was bound to eventually come around the way it has today. Folks don't want to hear what they don't want to know. And those that pull the strings are counting on the general populace to be cooperative and complacent - and keep their opinions to themselves. It was a brilliant bit of social engineering they pulled off when they got many people to begin seeing their constitutional and historic right to dissent as a form of treason.

So it goes.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  17. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I agree with that and understand completely where you're coming from.

Some things need to be said though and if a songwriter can say it without flirting with the social justice warrior thing, I can kind of dig the honesty.

FantasticFour and 40Hz like this.
  18. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    If a band/artist always had a political over tone it doesn't bother me nearly as much as a sudden jump into the current political fray. To me it comes across as opportunism and/or desperation to stay relevent.

19. Wolfhound32

Wolfhound32 Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2013
    WA State
    I was raised to treat others the way I want to be treated. Being from a long line of military veterans, an essential part of my upbringing was always being reminded that we were blessed to be living in America where everyone is entitled to their opinion and learned how to disagree with someone while respecting their point of view-- even if it was counter to my beliefs. So, when I hear an artist talk about their political point of view it doesn't bother me one bit. Enjoying the music of an artist with whom I disagree is significant common ground; after all, looking for common ground is a foundational part of getting along with others.

HOWEVER, if they begin expecting everyone else to think the way they do, become nasty and bully others, that's when it starts to sour me on their music. Mainly because those are the kind of people I try to avoid, and as an extension that can lead to me avoiding their music-- thankfully I can count on one hand the number of artists who fall into that category.

It seems fewer people today have been raised by "the golden rule," and coupled with the fact that nearly everything has become politicized and so many people have become hyper-sensitive that I'm not surprised when people boycott certain artists. It's a shame really. I just pray that the Thought Police fail at their attempt to become the ruling authority of a global society... Hmmmm there might be a concept album there... :D

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just because someone is rich or famous or talented in one way does not mean their opinions on other matters count for anything. I treat them like anyone else - when they say or do something repugnant to me, I stop listening to them. I am more offended when their opinions are given more weight simply because they are famous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.