1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does an Epifani UL112 on its side sound different?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Mar 23, 2009.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I'm thinking of putting my Epi the "long way" such that it is rotated counter clockwise 90 degrees. How will this change the sound in terms of floor coupling?

I'm not talking about tilting it, just laying it flat. Partially to get my head to lay flat (it won't fit with the handle) and partially to get the amp a little closer to my hands to hit the mute.

Thanks

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Maybe less lows, but barely noticeable.

3. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    so far I haven't noticed much of a difference, but it has been in my bedroom so it doesn't count :)

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No change whatsoever. Coupling is determined by the distance of the cab from a boundary, not its orientation.

5. I didn't notice a difference with mine, and for the reasons already mentioned, I prefered that orientation. Speaking of 'coupling,' I've heard two 112 cabs situated this way and it sounded great. If I ever go back to this type of rig (two 112's) I'll definitely set them up "side by each" instead of stacked.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My standard setup is to stack two UL112s on end vertically. This gives maximum height and a bigger 'wall of sound'. I have run it the traditional way as well and I havent noticed much, if any, difference.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've also run mine side by side, tilted back and that sound great too. I think it works better for low volume venues setup in this manner.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

All of your notes will come out sideways.

Seriously, though, the only difference may be slight, based on the tweeter being in a different position.

I run my Eden D112XLT sideways, so it's a little taller than its usual horizontal position. This gets the tweeter a few inches higher. When I add the second D112 they orient vertically, which is better for mid dispersion.