Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does an Iamp 800 fit inside a SKB Shallow Rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 21, 2006.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    So those are your units?

3. The depth on my iAmp 800 is 10 1/8" and the rocker switch for power adds another 2/8" to the total depth.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    so would you say they are a perfect fit or is it to small?

Thanks

5. There was a thread a while back concerning the shallow case and the Thunderfunk. The conclusion as I remember it was that the oldest TF models, which a 9 1/2' deep just fit, but the newer 10" and 10 1/2" deep models did not.

So... my guess is that it's too tight of a fit. I use the standard 2 space SKB rack with my 10 1/2" deep TF. I actually like the extra space in the back for extension cords, cables and power cables, and the standard rack case is very lightweight.

When I owned my iAmp800, I used a Mooridian bag, but actually found the 20 pounds of the iAmp too much for a bag... it was really too heavy IMO for a shoulder strap over long distances. So, I'd recommend the standard SKB full space rack or one of the rack bags (like the Gator) about which TBers post positive comments.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    It's just a cost factor really, the shallow rack is about the same price as a rack bag whereas the normal rack is about twice the price.

How strong are these rack bags, I'm planning on having a 3U rack with a korg tuner and Iamp800, I think the weight would be ok for me to carry, but I worry about when I go on gig's all our gear goes in with the PA gear which is all really heavy and flightcased, I just want my gear to be protected, and worry that a rack bag won't be strong enough

What do you think Kjung?

Cheers

7. The rack bags I'm familiar with are plenty strong top and bottom, but a little questionnable in the front panel. The Thunderfunk has a multiple rack ear mounting option, so you can move the amp back in the rack a little bit to provide more protection for the knobs if you are using a bag instead of a true rack case. I don't think the iAmp has that option.

In your situation, I would go with the 'true rack' since your amp will be in a truck with heavier stuff.

However... hopefully you will get some additional input from people who use those rack bags. Good luck!

Here's a thread that talks about this.... looks like 9 1/2 inches is the max that will fit into the SKB shallow rack, but the Gator Shallow Rack Bag would work fine.

www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214088&highlight=Thunderfunk+SKB

8. Again, I measured my iAmp 800 at 10 3/8" including the rocker switch on the rear panel. I just called SKB and they stated that if the amp is 10 3/8" in total depth it will fit in the 3U shallow rack.

Also the rocker switch can be depressed if necessary to make the depth ~ 10 2/8".

9. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    So did anyone actually try this? What were the results? I just got a new iamp800 and would love to put it in a shallow SKB 3 space rack. Any folks out there tried this?

Ian