1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does an old bass's "patina" make it more valuable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mndean, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    I saw a CL ad http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/1116348056.html for an '83 P bass, and it mentioned that it was getting a patina. Is that real or has someone just been watching too much Antiques Roadshow? Most valuable old basses I've seen have been pristine, maybe with a just a little yellowing of the plastic at worst.

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Thats basic relicing or natural aging that has occured it does not make it more valuable. Some people would perfer that look over a fresh bass, but a 1983 fender is not owrth 1800

3. Patina, schmatina. I saw that earlier today, & the antiques roadshow was the first thing that popped into my head as well. I vote *overpriced* :spit:

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Need way more detail, especially lot's of pics. Patinia?
    Well, that and sounding great, might get you to the gig. LOL! :eyebrow:

5. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    The ***? moment when I saw the price is what drew me to the ad in the first place. I don't know why, but the Sacramento CL is full of amusing ads like that. There's at least a couple every day that are overpriced and with flowery descriptions. Not many on basses, though. I usually go through the Bay Area CL if I'm looking to buy. Most of those are still overpriced, but there are deals there. Here, not so much.

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I have never heard patina applied to a bass? some guy tried to sell me a car that had patina it was a rust bucket thus that word gives me a sick feeling. I would probably not buy that if i did i would spend below 1000 on it and it better feel like an exstension of my arm .

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Bay Area, yeah. Lot's of desperate souls who over paid and now are getting the heave-ho from their jobs and their digs. Yeah, they want double or triple what it is worth because that is what they paid for their lives. Sad, but I am only playing a very tiny einsie-weensie violin, and only for about .0009 nano-seconds.

8. mndean

mndean

Mar 20, 2009
    California
    The Bay Area is a good place to drive a hard bargain, lots of people need cash. Here in the valley, for some reason people aren't as desperate (yet) even though they grossly overpaid for their houses too. I guess places like Vegas would be good for a bargain as well.

9. Here is a definition of patina. NO it does not increase an objects value. Furthermore it can be faked, to make something LOOK older than it really is.

Patina (ˈpa tə nə) is a film on the surface of bronze or similar metals (produced by oxidation over a long period); a sheen on wooden furniture produced by age, wear, and polishing; or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. On metal, patina is a coating of various chemical compounds such as oxides or carbonates formed on the surface during exposure to the elements (weathering). Patina also refers to accumulated changes in surface texture and colour that result from normal use of an object such as a coin or a piece of furniture over time.[1]

10. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    Overtime, everything develops a patina. This is from air composition and other nonsense. A patina from Houston and a patina from San Francisco would be chemically different. Maybe look slightly different as well.

If I would have to guess, I would say the dude has never cleaned his bass and it's just covered in gunk. So if you want 26 year old dirt on your bass go for it.

11. Me personally,,, I don't care if that 26 year old dirt is from the moon, it ain't worth 1800 clams.