1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

does an SX P/J bass work as well as the Fender Aerodyne?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghostjs, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    i played a Fender Aerodyne last friday and i loved the tone out of both Pick-ups when mixed as well as seperated. im wondering if the SX pick-ups have a distinct sound like the Aerodyne had when i rolled down the volume on the P or the J pup. i loved the thick tone of the Fender but i hated its $900 pricetag

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    There is about a $500 difference in retail price. I think you will be disappointed if you think that you won't hear the difference.

G

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The stock pickups on the SX P/J basses are surprisingly good. They don't sound exactly like a Fender, but they come pretty close. They don't sound "tinny" at all. The P-bass pickup on the SX is pretty beefy sounding. The Jazz is a bit higher pitched than a "real" Fender Jazz.

If you want an SX to sound like a Fender, put a set of Fender Noiseless pickups in it.

4. With the difference in price, you can certainly afford to put any pick ups you like in it.

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Simple math will tell you that since the Fender costs 4 times more than the SX, it will sound 4 times better as well. ;)

I haven't tried the PJ models, but I think my SX Jazz sounds pretty similar to a passive Fender Jazz. Heck, for what the SX costs, it sure can't hurt you much to order one and see what you think. On the other hand, you know you like the Aerodyne and you've held it in your own two hands...

6. I don't wanna be an SX hater. I like them, and I especially like what they have come to stand for: a way to thumb your nose at how bloated Fender has become. But if I was expecting a Japanese Fender and someone gave me an SX, I'd be pissed. As good as SX are, there's a pretty big difference there. Just my opinion.

7. The biggest improvement you will notice between a cheap bass and a more expensive bass isn't the sound (which is more subjective, but IMO generally improves too), but the feel and quality of the instrument.

So while you may be able to get the SX to sound similar, you may not be happy with the feel of it, which IME matters a lot more than the sound. You can change the sound of a bass. But if it feels good to play, you enjoying playing it more, you'll get a better sound out of it because you'll enjoy playing it more :)

8. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    while I am from the camp that believes a properly setup SX can easily play and sound as good as a Fender, I do not think that you will find the SX P/J bass to be a suitable replacement for the Aerodyne. While you could upgrade the SX with the same pickups that are in the Aerodyne and probably get a similar sound, the body shape and neck profile on both basses are very different so they would feel very different playing wise.