Does any body know "Bass Collection" basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Oct 30, 2002.

1. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002

This is my first post here in TalkBass, and I would like to thank you in advance for all the good advices that I have picked up here.
    Does any body know these bass brand - "Bass Collection"? I know that they are made in Japan and that they very pretty, but I would like to know if someone had already played one of them and, of course, some opinions regarding sound and playability. My main choice would be a 5 string, but any inputs are more than welcome.
    Once again, thank you in advance for everything, and I hope to hear from you soon.
  2. awesome

Aug 14, 2002

I've played the sb331 fretted and fretless 4 string and the sb456 fretted 5 string.

Really liked the fretless, slim neck, passive/active switch and I think 2-band EQ. In active mode it was a bit noisy though. I doubted a long time whether I'd get it or not, thoughed it was a bit to expensive at the time.
    Didn't care much for the fretted, there are basses equally good for less money IMO.
    I didn't like the neck of the 5 so I didn't plug it in, but this is totally subjective.

In general, BC has slim necks, and I would descripe their sound as clean and solid.
    ...and they look nice

hope this helps
  3. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I picked up a Bass Collections bass about 14-15 years ago, and to this day I still love playing it. It is great for funk and soloing. The neck is slim and the body is light. I ripped out the origional pickups and dropped EMG's in.

Not a great studio bass, but very good live.

I don't think they make these anymore. I would love to get my hands on a 5 string fretless if I could find one.

4. hey x... they have alot of them over here in taiwan. fives and i think sixes too
  5. I also owned a bass collection 4 string fretted a number of years ago. I bought it for $100 while I was working at Sam Ash in West Hempstead, LI. For THAT price it served me long and well, though I agree, it is not a good studio bass, and there are many better basses out there for similar price tags, (if you're not getting it for a song).
  6. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    I own a bass collection 5 string. Really a great bass. I really like the sound and love the playabillity( full 19mm stringspacing on the fiver, nice neck, great frets). Really nice for tapping (really low action). You can see pics of me on my band webpage (
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are loads of them about in the UK and I have tried quite a few - the Bass centre in London distributes them and always has loads. So they range in quality depending on price - the Bass centre always has a few with exotic woods that look nice but are expensive enough to take them into a price bracket where you could get a more recognisable "name" brand.

Personally I have never liked any of them - I feel the body is too small in proportion to the whole and they all feel unbalanced to me. But I have seen some very good pros using them to good effect, so I think this is a personal preference thing.

I think their sound is a bit bland and generic for me - not enough character or "growl"!

The only other thing I have against them is depreciation in value - loads on the second-hand market in the UK at very low prices, compared to new - so I wouldn't recommend them as a good "investment", but if the small body suits you then fine - but I think there are lots of other basses for similar prices, that would give you more?
  8. I played various Bass Collection basses in stores, I think they feel really good, but ofcourse that's my personal taste.
    I thought the sound was nice but I would like a lot more "growl", a replacement pickup would fix that I guess.
  9. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Great instruments, even better prices!

i own a 4 string (fretted) SB310, active. It's a great, suitable for pretty much any styles reall. I myself am in a metal band, detuned a step, but still sounds killer. I enjoy playing most styles 'just for fun', from blues, jazz, funk through to thrash and death metal, even the odd bit of slap and tap. (Oh yeah, harmonics sound good too)
    None of which the tone or physical properties of the bass hasn't lived up to!

(aww, i cant find the pictuire i scanned of my bass a while ago sorry)

The only down side taht id say is as the guy above mentioned about it not having a too distinct sound, then again this is where its versatility comes out i suppose.
  10. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    First, I would like to thank you all for your responses.
    Today I went to a store and tried a Bass Collection SB465. To be honest with you, I liked the bass (very good playability, nice sound and it was one of the best looking basses I've ever seen), but lacked some "growl".
    I also tried a Yamaha TRB5 and really dig it. Really good sound (with growl) and versatility.
    What do you think?? Can you give some advice on Yamaha basses??
    Once again, thank you very much for your attention!
  11. Bruce Lindfield

I think the Yamaha TRBs are definitely superior to Bass Collection and are true "pro quality" instruments.

I had a an old TRB6P and the new TRB6Ps and TRB5Ps are exceptionaly good - Nick Fyffe - Jamiroquai's bass player is using one and I have seen Laurence Cottle doing great things with one. I tried a couple in London and was definitely tempted.
  12. Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    The thing they say about the sound might be true but the bass plays really well and i use it with a boss me8B multi-efffect, so i can colour the sound easely (put in some 400hz. low-mids and it will growl)
    Ofcourse the yamaha is better but it cost almost twice as much (I payed 650euros for my basscollection=> the yammie cost 1200euros)
    If I had more money, I would have bought something else, but I hadn't.
    Mayby only the cheaper bass collections are worth their money....
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Well of course - they may be good "for that price range" - but if you can afford a TRB5P though, I think it is a much better instrument in every category - although it will cost at least twice as much in the UK.

Bass Collection are clearly a range made to a budget and aren't in the "boutique bass" class, whereas a TRB5P comes close to these.