does any body know what kind of bass this is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by R.Waters, May 22, 2005.

1. R.Waters

Apr 7, 2005
    I've always admired this bass but I never found out what type of bass bill wyman plays. Does any body know what bass it is in the picture?

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Off the top of my head. it looks like a Framus, aluminum neck (I think) mahogany body?
  3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Not sure of the model number but it looks like a Travis Bean.
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Travis Bean. One of the heaviest basses ever made. Sounded
    ok, but really heavy.
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Yup, it's definitely a Travis Bean. I had one for about ten minutes in the seventies. When I found out I couldn't afford a team of donkeys to haul it around, off it went.
  6. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    Bill Wyman owned two of the few (between 6 and 12 total depending upon the info source) short-scale Travis Bean TB2000 basses. There were a total of 1023 of these basses made of which other than these few were 33" scale. You can hear Wyman's Travis Bean tone all over "Some Girls" and "Tattoo You", but he plays flatwounds which take away a lot of the bite and grind compared with roundwounds on this bass.

They are weird feeling basses to play because they have no relief, no radius, and no way to adjust that (no truss need for one). But I got used to it and will own mine until death or damnation...........they have a tone and attack unlike any wooden or graphite necked bass I have played. Very heavy but very cool.

Much more info on these at: