Does any body like old classical piano...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sn0wblind, Mar 7, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Any body like old classical pianists, like Beethoven or Bach???
    or do you know any cool symphonys' by these masters of pianos???? personally I LOVE the sound of doomy gloomy piano...... any opinions??
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, From Bach, The Well Tempered Klavier would be an obvious one to mention.

Rachmaninoff has the most demanding piano stuff though.

Will C.:cool:
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Although I can't really talk about pianists, or anyone like Bach or Beethoven, I do love the sound of the old pianos. My aunt just bought one for £70 (about $120), and has it in her front room - some of the strings are missing, but it sounds beautiful, and was a great bargain. (I don't think her neighbours agree though, after all the time I spend playing it the other night!)
  4. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
  5. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I'm in the process of learning a Bartok piece. Man, it's nuts. Keeps my fingers quite limbered up. :D
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For technical challenges, try Liszt (Transcendental Etudes) and Chopin (anything). I personally like the "Revolutionary Etude"; there's some scary left hand stuff in that. Not that I can play the piano *at all*.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I LOVE "old piano music", that's the reason I went out and spent some good could-have-been-used-on-bass money to get a keyboard.

For Beethoven:

Moonlight Sonata (of course)
    Spring Sonata op.24
    Pathetique op. 13

Air from the Suite No. 3
    (that's for TWO people to play at once)
    (that's for TWO people to play at once)
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bach, Beethoven, Chopin...

Yeah! That's the ticket!

My favorite classical composer is Mozart, he has some beautiful piano pieces, but he's not as well known for piano as the aforementioned greats.
  9. That's what I do for a living, a piano tuner (and woodworker). I am trained to listen to partial string vibrations, and the only time it really drives me nuts is when I try to listen to a piano piece. I hear all this stuff happening that the average listener doesn't notice.
  10. Of course, you realize that the piano wasn't really in existence while Bach was alive. People play his works on the piano today sometimes, but that's not at all how they would have sounded originally.
  11. Rachmaninoff VS. Bach

bach was ok but darn he liked those thirds.

could Rachmaninoff kick Bachs butt in a fight.
    i bet both of them could kick Beethoven's but, heck if you snuck up behind him he wouldn't even hear you.
    and most importantly what kind of sneakers did they wear.

12. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have an old RCA Red Label recording of Arthur Rubenstein playing the Chopin Nocturnes,it was recorded sometime in the 1950's(I'll have to check).WOW! He pulls so much out of those beautiful pieces.This record is a good case maker for reincarnation,'cause he plays this music as Chopin surely did. And for Bach,Glenn Gould is pretty amazing if you can get past hearing him sing along as he plays.