Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does any body use a stand alone HD recorder

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 3, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Are these units any good I'm looking at the Fostex VF80 with CD-RW.
    I need some thing that doesn't take up much space and is portable?
    Are there any better units in this price range?
    Is there anything I need to be careful of in these units.
    Can I record on to this unit then burn the 8 tracks or so on to a cd then import them in to sonar or cubase to master them?

Thanks in advance.

2. I am considering getting one a stand alone when I move up to get more channels, but haven't decided fully.

The concept sounds interesting , basically my idea is to do the same as you are considering, although I may try to find a card that can bring all the tracks into my PC at once.

I would like to get a rack with one to just patch into the sound guys rack (we rent sound ) and then bring it back home for recording.

Post what you figure out as I am sure that there are others that would be interested.

later

3. I've used a Roland VS-1680 for the past couple of years and have found it does everything I need - it's portable, and I can record 8 tracks at a time. Take a look on eBay - they're usually $1k or less. I use outboard pre-amps as the ones in the Roland are adequate, but not brilliant.

- Wil

4. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Same here, I have the VS-890 and it dies a very good job. However I also have an audio buddy for instrument mics, an RBI for my bass and a variety of mic preamps and processors for vocals.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    [​IMG]
    We record using a Yamaha AW4416, it can do 16 channels simultaneously and has two good mic pres. I can only say, if you're serious about recording, do check this machine out, it is amazing. Especially if you add the Waves Y56K effects/mastering card. Granted, it's in a different price bracket, but they can be picked up used for reasonable money.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm just getting to grips with a Fostex VF08. just now. It was cheapish - cost me about £350 (about $500). Unfortunately you can only do 2 tracks at a time - so for real drums we'll need to get a cheapish mixer.

I'm working on downloding the songs we've recorded to the PC so that I can burn Cds. The FOstex looks like it'll do a pretty good job of mastering in it's own right. I think all I need now is a optical to co-ax cable, then I can download SP/DIF to the PC harddrive - anyone care to comment???? Am I going about this the right way??

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Uhh, I don't beleive such an animal exists. There are format converters like Behringer Ultramatch, but i'd rather suggest you get a sound card that has matching connections to the Fostex, or else transfer analog audio or via wave files on CD.

Edit: Perhaps I was hasty. I read 'co-ax' to mean 'non-optical', but I realize there is a co-ax version of optical as well. I have not seen one of those on a PC card though, so I assume the digital input on your PC card is not optical (?). If that is the case you either have to convert from optical to electrical, or transfer audio by simply recording analog or transfer using CD (which you perhaps not have in the Fostex?).