Does any fretless with emg-hz pick ups exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassit, Feb 17, 2006.

1. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    i am really interested in a fretless bass with emg pickups, but not sure which brand provide such a product.please help.:meh:
  2. I had a Spector Rebop 5 fretless, which IIRC had EMG 40s. I'm sure they were EMGs. Nice bass.
  3. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I'm pretty sure my ESP B-104 fretless has them. BUT this is open for discussion. They don't make the bass anymore. The production run was short. I think that ESP rebadged the EMG's. ESP has no user manual. According to them they never did...:eyebrow:

The 154 model has them as well. I don't know if you can find them in a fretless.

Good luck.
  4. steve21

steve21 Banned

um, if you want HZs (why would you... okay...) the Schecter Studio 4 Fretless.
  5. +1. Beat me to it!

Minirehak 212 likes this.
  6. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    IIRC, the ESP brand pickups in their lower level instruments are EMG Selects. The HZ's come in the next few models of the hierarchy and active EMG's come in their 400 Series and above. As far as finding a fretless, I don't think ESP makes a production model. I would check Spector and Schecter, as previously suggested. Also, EMG's and EMG HZ's are available aftermarket, so you could put them in a lot of basses. There is always the option of buying a fretted bass with the pickups you want and defretting it. There is a great thread in the Setup forum if you are interested. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  7. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I have a 4 string fretless that was built from Warmoth parts and it has EMGs P-J combo. I may be interested in selling also.
  8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Spectorcore. the HZs aren't terrible..I run them passive in my Spector Legend 6 and I like the tone I get pretty well, there's room for improvement though for sure.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Older passive Dean Edge basses have EMG-HZ pickups. They sound nice.
  10. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Are you sure you don't mean "regular" EMG pickups? The EMG HZ ones are cheaper versions of the regular EMGs, as far as I know.
  11. my euro rebop 5er has the EMG-HZs with tone pump, sounds great if you ask me....

on a side note, are all EMG settups active? im looking to put some in my p bass once i get it back together and was wondering if i would need to figure out where to put a 9v
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have EMG's in the MIJ Jazz fretless that I traded a TB'er for. It has serious booty and a lot of tonal variation that's available just out of the two volume controls. It's quiet too. So, an aftermarket solution is available if you like the Fender Jazz fretless basses.
  13. bassit

May 24, 2005
    China Mainland
    Now, schecters and spectors are in decisions, maybe dean edge,too? after browsing the dean's site,i am not sure it still under production list. maybe spectors are expenisive for me.
    my budget is $500. so schecters will be the last one.
    thanks for aftermarket solutions, too. i am really not good at DIY a bass, haha.
    i have found many high end basses with EMG Hz pick ups,so I guess it may be a better pups in EMG series?
    thank you all TBers, any additional advise is welcome!

14. the HZ's are passive... thats why there cheaper... so far, from what i know of, everything else is active
  15. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I have a Spectorcore semi with an HZ, sounds huge. I like the bass so much that I bought the fretless version as well.
  16. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    EMG-HZ's and EMG Selects are passive, while standard EMGs are active. The confusing part is that the HZ's are often paired with active controls, i.e. EQ, so they are often mistaken as active. The HZ's I have in an ESP sound very similar to active EMGs except they have lower output. IMO, they are nice pickups.
  17. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No high end bass has EMG-HZ pickups. They have EMG. The EMG-HZ pickups are passive conventional pickups, therefore much cheaper to build. EMGs are active and very unconventional. There are also "EMG-Select" pickups, which are like the HZ line, but you can buy them separately, where the HZ line is only available as original equipment on some basses, mostly mid-line Korean models.

Dean doesn't use EMG-HZ branded pickups any more that I know of, you'd have to find an older Dean. The EMG-HZ pickups in my older Edge sounded really wonderful to my ears. I personally do not like the sound of EMG active pickups very much, I like the more mellow softer sound of the HZ models.
  18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    This isn't true...HZs are available separately as a retail, aftermarket part.
  19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, they used to be only OEM, I remember reading that on the web site when I was looking up the pickups on my Dean Edge a few years back. It's nice for us customers that they're available to purchase now, they are certainly better than the "Select" line, and IMO they sound better than the active EMGs as well!