1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

does any one know how loud these bad boys can get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svart_noise, Mar 4, 2013.

1. svart_noise

svart_noise

Mar 1, 2013
  2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    The 215 will get real loud with that head.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I've never seen a bass like that before...

4. svart_noise

svart_noise

Mar 1, 2013
    are the peavey 1810 bass cab? and the peavey 215 bass cab? I'm gonna be running them through a peavey 400 series bass head.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    215 Black Widows should be loud enough for the cops to show up and demand some sort of ID :)

6. doxcoke

doxcoke

Jun 19, 2007
    I had the 210 with the 1x18. It looked just like that. It was very loud. I remember not thinking it was that loud when my band would practice. However, one day I was across town (it's a small town) and I could hear this blaring thump. It turned out someone was playing through my cab. I loved that cab

7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    The potential for loudness is there. I, however did not particularly care for the sound of the 1810 cab. Way too muddy for me! Two questions...are those both 4 ohm cabs? And will the 400 series go to 2 ohms? You might be better off going with a
    8X10.

8. Mixing different speaker sizes is not recommended for a variety of reason

9. Those Firbass heads are monstrous, especially if you have good cabs under 'em. I did a gig last night with backline provided-in this case a Firebass 700 head run into a Peavey 410 box (not sure which series exactly but it was really deep front-to-rear). Long story short, volume was massive, no fart whatsoever on the low B at ANY volume, and the overall tone was good too. I'm guessing that the 2x15 box would sound slightly better as the 18's can get a bit boomy/muddy and may not have quite the power handling.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If you're playing venues too big for that rig, congratulations.

11. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    well you could always email or call Hartley and he could buy this cab from the OP and get rid of it? :)
    They were good enough for Tommy Shannon and Billy Gould, so yeah.

12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Reasons not too relevant to a cab that has a crossover and is biamp capable. Although the mid drivers should still be vertical.

13. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    exactly
    kill it with fire! ermergerd it's a witch ermergerd!!
    :hyper::hyper::hyper:

14. Sure the 1810 has a x-over

He wants to also use it with a 2X15

But sure, go ahead

Probably sound great :rollno:

15. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    I've used a Peavey 1810 like that and it has some weird phasing issues. Some of the notes I hear through the cab seem to be out of tune even when I double checked my tuning. The bass sounded fine on another rig. It was loud enough for me.

16. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Very true. I have a 2x15 loaded with BW's and it can go much louder than I need. I love the headroom.

17. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Does your guitarist have a 100 watt Marshall stack, or are you trying to compete with planes taking off? Either way you'll be fine.

18. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I had (and still have) two of those 1810's and an old 2X15. It's a wash volume wise. Both are beasts.

The 1810 has a 500Hz crossover plus biamped inputs. I never found it muddy. The Scorpion 10's are plenty bright.

One bass player I know still gigs with one of these. He replaced the PV speakers with JBL's. One can patch this cabinet to keep the 10's on the crossover but run the 18 full range, and it's a way to get the cabinet a little louder.

When I bought my first 4X10, (two actually) I still preferred the sound of the 1810's. If I knew then what everyone knows now, I would have run the pair of 1810's stacked on their sides, instead of one on each side of the stage, to keep the 10's vertically stacked. ;^)

I miss hauling around a couple of these behemoths around...two 18's, four 10's all with huge magnets, housed in heavy OSB cabinets...

Actually, I miss the shape I was in when I used to haul these around.

I recently snagged a very old single 15 BW cabinet (with two piezos) with PV's original 150 watt BW in it. I was surprised how good that speaker actually sounds. I could easily gig with it. My PF500 drove it well, and it compared favorably to the 15" Kappa I usually use. Pity PV didn't vertically stack the piezos.

19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ehrmagherd! Werchkrerft! :eek:

20. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack