Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does any one know of a band with more than one bass player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whitester, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Just a query for my ears. Does anyone know of any bands that use more than one bass player, (at the same time!!)

i know of one down here, and am looking to start another, and would love to hear what others have done but i don't know of any. Preshrunk here in oz is the only one I know

so romans, country men, bass players.....lend me your ears.

yt

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im in central Qld, youre not a welshman who was just at hamilton island are you???? anyway i dont recall any bands with 2 bassists.
    later
    Lukas

3. well unless i was abducted by aliens, and taken to the mysterious place of hamilton island. then no. oh and i not welsh so i guess it really wansnt me!!!

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ned's Atomic Dustbin and Delta 5.

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    My friend's band contains of 4 bassists and one guy on congas

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I just saw James Brown back in April. He had 2 bassists and 2 drummers.

7. I read about a band called Burn Guitars that has three bassists and one drummer. I think I may have read about them here on talkbass, be I'm not sure.

8. Coloniel Les Claypool and the Fearless Flying Frog Brigade, they've got Les on lead bass and another guy to back him up

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm astonished that I am the first to mention Spinal Tap.

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I read an article in Bass Player years ago about Ned's Atomic Dustbin. One of the bassists said that one played notes in the lower register and the other played notes in the higher register, usually above the twelth fret, so that they didn't tramp on each other's musical toes, so to speak.

11. A local band from Maryland named Kill Patrick has two drummers. They sound really cool, and each bass line complements the other.

12. I would imagine that a band with multiple bassists would get kind of a muddy mix between the two. But i guess if one plays the higer notes and the other plays the low notes it wouldn't be that bad. But then why not just get one of the 6 string twigs, you knjow a g*****

13. scrawney you mustn't have ever heard the band preshrunk then. 2 b's one drums 3 amazing MF's

no muddyness whatsoever, but i guess it's because one sort of takes the lead and the other keeps the funky grooooove on track.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Most orchestras, I believe, have more than one bass player :)

Seriously though, a lot of smoove jazz guys who solo on the instrument enlist the aid of another bass player or keyboard to hold down the low end in live settings, eg. Brian Bromberg, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Wayman Tisdale. Probably not what you were looking for, but there you go.

15. On the last couple of Miles Davis disks he had Lead Bass and Bass Bass.

2 players, there is a video called Miles in Paris that has both players.

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
  17. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Enemy Squad. They pull it off pretty damn good in my opinion. Killer Funk/Rock/Soul.

18. The lead bass was a piccolo bass.

I played in a band with 2 bass players. The other bassist tuned his fretless 4-string bass up a fourth and I had a 6-string then.

- Dave

19. Oh yea. I know what happened to Ben because I see him in the Santana videos but I wonder were Foley went.

20. Our band had two bass players at one time. We played the same lines just at different octaves, it filled in the gap of not having but one guitar player. Also one of us one play the main bassline and the other would play a line over it that was in a different style maybe with some fx. It was cool for a while, then we realized it was pointless so we dropped him.