Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Any one know the bassist on Yanni-Live at the Acropolis?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by haplo07, May 8, 2002.

1. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    I was listing to Yanni's "The Rain Must Fall," and was impressed at the bass solo. Could anyway tell me anything about the bassist? Who he is, what bass he was using, amp, strings, pick ups, techniques......anything?

2. I know that a cat named Ric(k?) Fierabracci(sp?) has been playing with Yanni for quite some time. I couldn't begin to tell you about his setup, though.

3. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Thanks Pete. Its a start man. i know it was a 4 string i believe when i saw the video on PBS. but they didn't show all that much only that it was a stained or tung oiled natural ....well anyway it was an UNPAINTED 4 string bass from what i remember, i really need to go rent it and see. maybe that will tell me something, but i know it wouldn't help with telling me about his gear. I also don't think that bass has a name on it. i could be wrong though. all i know is that solo was KICK ASS!!!!

4. Peter, you spelled that right. Ric is tops in my book. The basswork in Acropolis was darned good, if you ask me. All around, the musicianship was great. Don't expect too many TB'ers to chime in here and agree - they have an aversion to anything "Yanni". (That's just my opinion based on readings of other related threads - I may be wrong).

5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Hey X-man!
    Ric Fierabracci is a great player. He has also played with live and on recordings with Frank Gambale and Andy Summers. Amazing player...and while some may not like Yanni (or is that "Yawn-y"?), Ric's playing is always exceptional.
    Max

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man...I said this some time last year...same question I believe. My boss loved the musak stuff, and I was floored when I heard that bass solo in the middle of it. Good stuff!

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    To hear more of Ric's work, check out Frank Gambale's double live official bootleg CD ( from www.frankgambale.com ) - there's some great soloing from Ric on there - and also get the new album from Joel Hoekstra - can't remember what it's called, but it's a great CD, and has Ric and his gorgeous tone all over it...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's a somewhat cool disc with Ric in a trio with Scott Henderson & Virgil Donati...a very loose/jamming Fusion recording.

Sorry, X-
    No Yanni in my house(a co-worker of mine loves his stuff, though. That's his idea of "Jazz". Whatever).

BTW, Karen Briggs also plays in Yanni's band(she was the violinist in Vertu).

9. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    WOW!!! when i posted this i didn't think anyone would respond. lol anyway it's cool to know i'm not alone finding the work enjoyable if not tolerable to listen to and the bass work to be something to aspire to (yeah right! like i'd ever play that good.) as for Yanni. what can i say? i saw him on PBS before that i hadn't heard **** about him. sometimes it's hype (good or bad) that mentally ****s us from enjoying a good musical work. for those that just don't like Yanni, what can i say? it's your choice. at least he's original, shows emotion in his work more than cold techniques in his compositions, he's not Tesh (LOL), and hell he's Greek. as a fellow Greek i have to give him some props. lol and he evened married a rich starlet. yeah she's old now and she looked like crap at one time but last time i saw linda everet on the PBS special she looked G O O D, but that was then. gigolo? maybe. a talented gigolo, even if not appreciated by everyone to be sure. he must be doing something right. his gigs sell out before news even hits that he's comming to town. no i haven't tried to go to one. tickets are too rich for my blood. i'll stick with an occasional PBS special lol

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'll second Steve's nod for the double Frank Gambale
    C.D........no commercial value at all, and I love it.. a real smoker!

11. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    thanks Jerry. i'll have to check it out. ummmm does anyone have any song titles off that CD i should check out in particular?

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The same could be said for The Spice Girls, Brittney, BSB, 'NSync, etc; are they doing "something right"?
    I suppose the 'fast-food' joints are doing "something
    right", too?

To be sure, it's all subjective(to a degree)-
    What I've heard from Yanni(mostly from my co-worker's cd player)...I don't hear too much 'originality'. I hear a 'watered-down' version of what was once called Third Stream...basically, a marriage between Jazz & Classical.
    If I recall, this genre emerged when Bebop was really kicking. Third Stream, in essence, was the "Smooth Jazz" of its time(not as 'difficult' to digest as Bop).
    ...anyway, it failed for a variety of reasons, seemingly later to evolve into what we now term New Age.
    Pretty bland stuff, IMHO.

13. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    FWIW, much of the rather difficult Jazz/improv/avant garde stuff that comes out on ECM gets classed as 'Third Stream' these days - when New Age kicked in, the jazz/classical cross-over went very strange, and all the more enjoyable for it...

I have no opinion on Yanni whatsoever, never having heard him, but I do like the Spice Girls... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Steve-
    IMO, the ECM stuff I've heard doesn't fall into what Third Steam was/is about. Honestly, I haven't heard anyone over here(USA) mention Third Stream except in the past tense.

Now, & this kinda disscussion usually evolves into a 'flame war' at sites like www.jazzcorner.com-
    IMHO, a lotta the Free Jazz I hear nowadaze is very close to "my" perception of Modern Classical...granted, the Free Jazz stuff is usually 'small combo'(i.e. not Orchestra-sized), is usually played on instruments associated with "Jazz" & is played by musicians reared more on(maybe) Bird & Diz & Miles & Duke & Mingus than, say, Ives, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, etc...

I dunno...
    FWIW, I'll pass on The Spice Girls.
    Give me Shakira any day of the week! ;)

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Like him or no... You cant deny the fact that Yanni (and everyone in the band) are TOP NOTCH musicians. Yanni: L.A.T.A. was IMO a great show! I really like his (Yanni's) stuff, but in that genre Im more drawn to acts like David Arkenstone or Shadowfax (which is, sadly, no more...). Lanz and Speer off the Narada label.. etc.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You can sometimes catch Ric Fierabracci,backing up Brian Bromberg.

17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Sonovagun...my wife made me sit through a fair chunk of that Yanni at the Acropolis show, and I was completely underwhelmed until all of a sudden there's a bass solo. Hmmm, this cat can play!

Very interesting to find out it was Ric Fierabracci. Next time I'm in LA I will definitely try to catch him at the Baked Potato, where he seems to be a fixture.

18. Well, I suppose one could classify Yanni's music as such. I'm no Yanni expert by any means, the Acropolis concert aired on tv being my only exposure to his music. Based on what I heard there, I am prepared to put my neck on the chopping block by suggesting that some of the reprtoire seemed to me to be a marriage of what some folks refer to as "New Age", and "Fusion". I admit that the one tune that comes to mind everytime I think of Yanni at the Acropolis is the sizzler with the violin duel between Karen Briggs and Shardad Rohani, in my mind, reminiscent of some of those amazing duels between Jerry Goodman & John McLaughlin. I think that I may be basing my entire critique of Yanni on that one tune, and as a result, he gets an "A+" from me. If I try very hard, I can recall enjoying some of the other tunes from that concert as well.

19. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    Hi again, and thanks for posting replys on my thread!

I am sorry for not responding earlier. I am a college student and as such my time is based between looking for work, my studies, my interests (girls [no success there lately :(], bass, my guitars, comics, video games [say it if you want, i know :(. i'm a geek], and computers),eating, cooking to eat, and sleep (what little i get of it).

Anyways... to more interesting things...

to yanni's musical stylings: while it may seem yanni is using an older watered down version of an earlier style of music that has somehow merged into what we call new age music... WHO CARES? what i mean is look at this way, and i will put my neck on the block for him as well, how many styles of music can we say are COMPLETEY AND ON TO THEM SELVES ORIGINAL? i mean styles not artists. for example you have rock that while in itself is comprised of how many different styles? to answer that would be subject to artist(s), their individual history and musical influence that contribute to their work, and the history of the music itself in time period. but in all you have the following styles to blame: classical, jazz and blues, bebob, gospel, and country.

while yanni's style is not original to some, his work is. he hasn't copied anyone or stole from anyone that i can think of in his actual individual works. like M. Bolton...*sings* Love is a wonderful thing... lol. anyway. to redo ones art is one thing to not give credit on the album before having your music being drawn into a court of law is another. i really don't care there. i don't like m.bolton after he lost his rock edge and got all "serious". seriously weak that is IMO (anything after soul provider was crap). anyways back to the subject at hand: yanni. yes he uses a style has been morphed into a another style that is a watered down version of where it originated in itself and is the standard in the musical genra (i can't spell for **** sorry ppl) he still comes up with music that is all his. it went from his head to his hands to his instrument to his recording to our ears with out music have been coming from a previous artist and that is original. until yanni is doing overs work with out credit to the artist it came from on his published recordings and leading him to be dragged in court for it he is such: original. if i am wrong please correct me. i am open mind and will listen to what you all have to say. i have so far and have enjoyed it.

another question how many bands have you loved or liked a whole lot that others have said, "oh please. if you like people that copy so and so then i guess they rock."? or how about, "are they good?" and the answer comes back as "oh yeah they sound like a cross between so and so, and so and so."? i mean i like la guns but if you were describe them you would say they look like a mix of motley crue and the ramones (in a way) and they sound like a mix if G'N'R, Wasp, and Motely
    Crue.

as to him doing something right in selling out in his concerts...well... he is. ok so are the spice girls. i rather listen to yanni than them, i rather watch them than yanni (if you can turn their mics off lol.)

before i get slammed if only in the minds of you good ppl let me say my tastes travel emensely. call it a course or a gift but i can basically listen to anything and find something i like even in what some may call garbage. of coure if i like something in the piece that i want the song and it really is garbage it can hurt how ppl can precieve you. but, someone once said you have live for yourself and listen to what you like. me? i only hate most rap, poka, the song when a man loves a woman, sugary-overated-mall brat-teenie bobber-glitzy- garbage (britney & christina, girl sounding boy band etc), grunge, most (not all) alternative and most music where the singer sounds like a whining ***** rather than singing or yelling (yes i would rather take the yelling than whining).

if you don't dig yanni, join the crowd. alot of ppl hated metallica when they started then they changed and the people that hated them love them and those the loved them (most not all) hated them. i was one that of those that can't stand them now. for reasons i won't put here. email me if you want that info. if you don't dig his music and you were listening to it without a symphony behind him, then you owe it to yourself to listen to him that way before you pass final judgement. that is what drew me in. if i had heard him with just keyboards i would not have liked his work at all. anyway when he is live he does have AWSOME MUSICIANS WITH HIM. he's smart enough to hire a great bassist ;)

anyway ppl i'm out. i'll keep checking this thread as often as i can. PEACE AND GOD BLESS.