Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

does any one own THEREMIN

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by the_bassment, Dec 31, 2005.

1. does anyone own a theremin and if so what are they like

2. I don't own one but I got the chance to play one and see one get played.

It's a very cool instrument. The sound was like a Violin almost.
    I'd buy it to just noodle around on it, or maybe even use it in a band. When I saw it being played, it was accompanying a keyboard/synth (electronica music).

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    In my last band my guitarist usd one, it was pretty cool.

4. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I been wanting to buy or build one of these tripped-out attenae wonders for quite some time now.
    I need to brush up on my electronic symbols, I used to know a lot of them cause I was in a class in my freshman year(3 years ago) but I have since forgotten :mad: :crying:

...but that's why they invented Google hahahah!! :D :smug:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There's a company in Australia that makes one comparable to the Moog Etherwave much cheaper and more customizable. I've been looking at picking up one of these or a used Etherwave.

6. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    My friend built one and lets me take it out to shows on rare occasions.

7. Yeah, it does sound like a violin, but only if you're good at playing it!

There was a little video about Bob Moog that was going around on the internet that featured some clips of theremin playing--very cool!

Actually... here it is:

MPG (160MB):
    http://fatbaron.com/dutchtvbobmooginterview.mpg

WMV for broadband streaming (43MB):
    http://fatbaron.com/dutchtvbobmooginterview.wmv

It's around 15 minutes long.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I own one. A Big Briar by Moog.

Let me tell you. I have two degrees in music, have played trumpet, horn, and electric bass professionally along with learning all the other instruments to earn the degrees. The Theremin is BY FAR the hardest instrument I have encountered. There are a lot of very good comparisons with the fretless string instruments and trombone, but in all those cases you have SOMETHING to hold on to and some kind of physical item to judge your movements... like first, second postion with the bowed string instruments, and trombone you can always judge the slide position in relation to the bell. Not so with the Theremin, your hand is out there in space.

That's not to say its unplayable. But if anyone is seriously considering buying one and the money is at all dear, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! If you are not really able or willing to spend an hour a day practicing the Theremin.... don't do it. It will tax you.

But, as a sound FX and fun thing to mess with, its pretty good. Just don't expect to be making a serious musical contribution to any kind of ensemble within the first 6 months of purchase.

I saw Bob Moog demo one once in 2001. He'd been making them since 1948. He played a simple church song, I can't remember exactly what it was but it was something like "Sweet Hour of Prayer". He talked and demoed the Theremin for over an hour, and everytime he played it, he did the same song. (that was my first clue).

Good luck... it really is a fun instrument. And it looks cool. And it is the oldest electronic instrument (except for that monster Thadeus Cadhill build in 1904). Leo Theremin is a very interesting person to learn about too.

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    There seem to be a number of theremin like instruments (mainly for percussion) that are also available. I saw several of these clones used by an accompaniest that theater organist Dennis James travels with, who does all the traps for his theater organ work

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've played around on one before. Very interesting. A couple nights ago I saw les claypool and his fancy band in san francisco. One of the players was on teremin for a song, it was sweet, claypool noodled on it a little too.

Clara rockmore is the goddess of the theremin.

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    My brother built one but it was taken apart years ago, he still want to buy a real one. Oh and also he's seen Clara Rockmore, said it was amazing.