Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody besides me, think the OBP-3 is a hissy onboard preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DeeZee, Sep 5, 2004.

1. DeeZee

DeeZee

Oct 13, 2002
    Virginia
    I have a Ibanez btb405 that I installed an OBP-3 into and I ended up with a much more rounded tone especially on the higher notes which is what I wanted. BUT,....The treble knob just dials in hiss and hardly does much to the useable treble. I suspect that this is so because the treble center frequency on the OBP-3 is much more focused and at a higher frequency than the OBP-1 (and also for the original preamp). I did the complete preamp hookup myself but doing that wasn't any different than what I do for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at work, so I trust my work. Nonetheless, I double and even triple checked each and every wire involved in this hookup. Is it possible I still made a mistake,....possibly, but I am betting on that this is just how this preamp is and maybe moreso of a case of how it is reacting and maybe not liking the pickups that it is connected to which are the stock ones.....How quiet has this preamp been for you guys and gals that have installed it or had it installed in one of your basses? I would imagine that some hiss is acceptable but this is the most hiss I have ever heard from an active bass yet,.....

Thanks

Doug

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've installed 'em a bunch of times. I agree that the treble on the obp-3 can get hissy, but I generally don't use it that much. I love the fat bass boost on both the obp-1 and obp-3, but wish the treble center could be the same on both. On the obp-1, the treble dials in more air nicely.
    Aguilar must have had a reason for doing it the way they did I guess.

3. My G&L L1500 is a hissy preamp. Muy noisy, for sure. My old Stingray 5 had it ALL over the G&L for quiet operation.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

With David there. Been a while but as I recall boosting treble and upper mid frequency (in variable setup) got some noise but can't say as I pulled pleasant tones at those spectrums anyway so wasn't an issue. I used it as outboard with various pups but I can't recall any standing out as taking the higher frequencies any better. As I recall, an NTMB was a more balanced unit and may be a consideration if it's a major issue.