Does anybody buy an amp because it is endorsed by someone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Nov 2, 2002.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Absolutely - I use Acoustic Image and Euphonic Audio gear because that's what FiElDy uses. What could be a better reason?
  3. A better reason? That's the only reason to use something! :)
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm sure many do. I don't.

My subconscious is probably as affected as the next guy by ads in magazines and what I see used by artists on screen or live, but I try to research gear before buying.

I put much more weight on user reviews in this forum and other Internet sites, if a majority here agrees something is good then it's worth checking out.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I want Eden because Munji endorses it.

J/k Of course......

Actually, the first time I tried Eden I had never even heard of them, but just saw an amp sititng there at GC and decided to try it out.

Same thing with Ashdown thought it was a Sam Ash, not GC.

I dont care who uses what unless I hear somehing cool on a recod and want to find out what it is.

6. If the players using an amp formed a major criterion in my head, I wouldn't use EBS, because its biggest endorsers--Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke--have, IMO, two of the most obnoxious tones on the planet. However, with my bass and my speaker cabinets, they sound great.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people around my age, though, who get an M2000 because John Myung and Justin Chancellor use it, bought SWR because of P-Nut, or went Eden because of Dirk Lance.
  7. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Marcus and Stanley are going to sound like Marcus and Stanley no matter what amp they use.
    Whose tone do you like? Think the amp is ALL their tone?;)
  8. Exactly! I figured this out a long time back--along with the realization that, ultimately, I sound like myself no matter what rig I play through.
  9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Me too - unfortunately! :)
  10. Well I'm sure somebody must or the companies would waste their money paying for endorsements. I'm a pretty impulsive buyer and I might go to a concert sometime and buy something because a guy was playing it. I think I once bought a guitar because I liked the way it looked in a mag. (Roscoe Beck) I've bought a lot of stuff because I liked the way it looked in the catalog. What can I say, I'm the kinda guy advertisers love.
  11. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I never would. I think those things are aimed at people without the ability to either (a) think for themselves (b) hear several amps and make their own decision or (c) newbie who started playing because of his hero and wants to be just like him (i.e. Mark Hoppus/Fieldy basses)

I judge with my ears...especially considering the fact that artists change endorsements like they change socks. Wasn't Marcus Mr. SWR for something like a dozen years (while EBS was out in the marketplace) and all of a sudden he has an epiphany and realizes EBS are better. *makes the patented jerk off hand motion* gimme a break already! These guys play for whatever they feel sounds good at the time and/or whoever gives them the biggest discount or a signature model (for the most part). If you don't believe me...just ask Patitucci why he switched from handmade Smiths to assembly line Yamaha's (even though his probably isn't) ;)
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Fieldy uses the M2000 too.

Not that anyone cares....

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    No. But...

If I was absolutely guaranteed to get the sound of one of my favorite bassists, simply by purchasing everything he had and used (bass, amp, strings, etc.) and if I could afford it, I would probably do it.
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

NO WAY!

The "big dogs" have top notch tech's who tweak the hell out of them....(ever get a copy of the "Tone Quest" report to see how doctored this stuff is???; first copy is/was free if you're interested).

I imagine some of the very high-end stuff is used by endorsers without any alterations. But they'll switch to something else in an instant because the all the high-end stuff sounds great live....the sonic differences are so subtle, they aren't really apparent live/run through a PA.

The endorsement money can be so good, I don't blame the artists. I just wish there could be more endorsement integrity.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My ears make the final decision, but an endorsement might cause me to consider a piece of gear I otherwise would not have.
  16. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Obviously, when choosing an amp, the primary factor is going to be how it sounds with my bass and my fingers, not anyone else's. However, I will admit that when considering what amp to buy about 18 months ago, I did do a bit of research to see who was using what. I was looking at some relatively high end heads and was turned off by the ones that seemed to be exclusively endorsed by bass wankers. I just didn't feel like I wanted to be on stage with an amp whose manufacturer seemed to position it as designed for bass hero types. In looking at Ashdown, I was impressed by the design, the tone and much further down my list of priorities was the fact that it was endorsed by people whose albums I own. Obviously, a player like Adam Clayton isn't a particularly amazing bass player, but at least he plays in a song-based band. Ditto for Andy Bell from Oasis, and I had my flashy bass player position amply covered by Entwistle. I'll leave the SWRs to the cats who only other bass players listen to (although, obviously, SWRs are used by a lot of regular working stiffs as well... they should put some of those guys in their ads). So, yeah, I guess I was influenced by endorsements, but maybe not in the way the companies would want.
  17. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Aren't we doing this (deciding on gear by endorsement) right now!! We are all reading to these threads to see what someone else has to say about a pice of equipment. It's endorsement without being we don't even know who the other person is or if they even play the bass.

No don't we all feel silly?

18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  19. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have never / will never buy anything because of a famous persons endorsment. Having said that John B Williams (bassist from Aresenio Hall show) is the person who got me interested in Warwick basses back in the day but he was playing his and not just taking a picture with it. That is the only thing that I can remember having a look at because of a famous endorsee. I know those guys are paid (be it money and/or free gear) to use those products and SOME of them do use those products but basically it comes down to a person being paid to say good things about a product and I dont/cant trust that.