Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody else like the music in Donkey Kong country?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Jan 11, 2003.

1. I'm not a big gamer, but I was recently playing donkey Kong for Super Nintendo, and realized it has some cool tunes in it. Just sharing and wondering if anybody else noticed.:)

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yeah it has/had some good music in it.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah...I always really liked that music. especially in the third stage when night falls at the very end of the stage that was good stuff.

4. i like the music in the water levels (which the water levels themselves suck) and the bonus stage music.

other than that, its mediocre. I think newer Final Fantasy games really take the cake in music awesomeness

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    the soundtrack to Final Fantasy X is awesome. There is a Classical guitar duet piece that kicks sooo much ass(scenary of spira) and the synth stuff is top notch(except for the occasional cheap sound or bad sample)

Final Fantasy 9 had great music too, but the synth work wasn't as good as X

isn't it interesting how in almost every industry synths and the likes are getting used more frequently, but in the video game world it seems like they are moving more and more towards using real instruments 100%

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Oh man...I hate to start a debate over something as stupid as this but the latest final fantasy games have really declined in quality over the games 8-10. 10 wasn't bad but come on...

If you like the music that's cool but I have no qualms stating I think that those games definitely feature sub par scores. There is so much other stuff out there that is just plain better...

:)

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh that goes without saying...I figured out most of final fantasy X and 9's themes in about a day...its not the most complex or deeply thought out stuff...it just sounds good and it works.

as for the games themselves...9 was pretty weak in a lot of areas but I really loved the game's world, I loved that crazy medieval fantasy land with airships(I love airships) and how a lot of the characters were animals. 10 was great just because of the sphere grid and the ability to switch people in and out of battles.

that said, I am not a gamer either, but I do go through gaming binges and I have played FF 9 and 10 a couple times each.

8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You're not a gamer but you've played through FF 9 and 10 a couple times? lol. I think that is what I would call a "hardcore gamer" ;)

Actually my response was more to jrthebassguy, not you wrong robot. I am actually in the middle of FF9 but havent touched it in like months. I just have so much else to do and it hasnt exactly enthralled me thus far (actually I have halfway through disc 3). I guess you could call me a gamer. I mean I have a ton of games but I cant even remember the last time I actually sat down and played them. I pretty much buy 50 dollar games so they can sit. :rolleyes:

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    gaming binges man....once I sat down and played FF 9 for about 10 hours....kind of crazy when I think about it...but I'll also go for months without touching any video games...so thats why I say I'm not a big gamer.

that said, I recently purchased a T-shirt that says
    w00t! :D

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    GTA3 has awesome songs on the ingame radio

no soundtrack on sale though :(

ps:
    GTA:VC does have a boxed set soundtrack but GTA3 dont :/

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    [Bitter Old Timer Voice On]

I remember back when RPG's were medival based games that dealt with fantasy, dragons, ect. Now RPG's are just sci-fi games with turn based battles. I really enjoyed the whole swords and socrcery thing.

[Bitter Old Timer Voice Off]

Though Xenogears still kicked major booty. :D

12. Ugg, I did the same for Metal Gear solid for playstation. Not too proud of that kind of excessive playing. When you finnaly get up, it hits you that you just wasted an ENTIRE FRIGGING DAY. I guess it's Okay if nobody you know finds out.;)

Although If I could manage ten hours of BASS playing, I would flaunt that like crazy, and people would think that I'M crazy.:D

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Someone said something about the lasest FF games sucking,,, and they have.

I'm gonna get killed for this, but the best music i heard was on FF3 (The greatest RPG of all time) when they are walking in the magitek armor to narshe in the intro. man, i love that RPG, i still play it. ive played it to the end 5 times, but have YET to beat it. i suck. i know. anyone else play this game? SABIN WAS THE MAN! Anyone remember breath of fire? the first one? man that was cool.

Ok, rpg rant off. 10 was ok, 9 was the best as far as the newer ones go, and 8 was... to ... something, maybe to real for my tastes. I mean, IMHO. the soundtrack off 9 was SWEEETTTT.