Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody else's cat lick their bass strings?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by C-5KO, Feb 5, 2006.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I just got a new bass last week.

Pulled it out of it's case, played it for a couple of hours then put it in it's stand to get some food from the kitchen. I get back, and my cat is licking the strings?!?

At first this was cute, and I thought it was a one time thing. But then I caught her doing it again later that night! I love my cat, but I don't want her cat-spit on my strings. I usually don't let other people play my bass, let alone, let my cat slobber all over it. Now I keep it in a gig bag just incase she gets another jonesin'.

I was just wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them?

The strings are nickels, nothing special about them. My hands were clean when I got the bass too, so what gives? I actually emailed Elrick to see if he had a cat, and maybe it was rubbing up against my bass, but he said he didn't.

2. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    don't have a cat and the two dogs don't really care much for the sound of it so they stay away.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, this may be a good way of testing for a faulty ground. Leave the bass plugged in and the amp turned on. Kind of like a parakeet in a coal mine.

;)

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Cats are strange. My cat has never licked my bass strings but he does so much other weird stuff I'm sure it won't be long and he'll be licking strings.
    Does your cat prefer flats or rounds?:)

5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    :crying: :crying: :crying:

:D

6. try putting Fast-fret or other string cleaner on the strings....

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Do not put tuna fish on your strings.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This reminds me of the quote from Wayne's World II that I use all the time for when I've got no real plans or anything, "Well, I guess I'll just stay at home and lick the cat's butt."

9. my cat was terrified of my bass...

10. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    My cats are too busy stealing then chewing my mint gum.
    to lick the strings

11. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    My cats think it's a fun game when I'm changing strings and the old ones are flopping on the floor... Party Time for the kitties!

12. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    lol. that's pretty bad! :D

strange. I just talked to my gf, and she said that when my last bass arrived, she did the same thing. so i guess it's her seal of approval. if she does it again, i'm going to try to tape it, and post it. it's the strangest thing.

13. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    yep. she does that too. i can't understand how chewing on a jagged piece of wire can be good for you.

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    My cat is afraid of the drums. If I want him out of the studio all I have to do is hit any drum or cymbal and he takes off.

15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Your girlfriend licked your strings as well? Definitely post it, that I gotta see.

16. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA

We have four cats but none of them lick my bass strings. One of them likes to use my new speaker cab as a scratching post though.:(

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I understand now why Rob didn't have an email address available to the public for several years. ;)

18. It's obviously from the sweat on the strings from your hands. It tastes salty, and your cat has an appetite for it. Cats are so awesome.

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    There has to be a carpet munching joke in here somewhere. Try as I might, I cannot find it.

20. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    I got this old yamaha acoustic and this cat I used to have would pluck the strings, then rub her face all over them and go back and forth between pluck and rub. Every once in a while I'd plug it in and she'd make these weird Tom Morello-like noises with it. It's cool when cats put on a concert for you and they dont even realize it.