1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anybody have a chambered/FRETTED bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eunchang, Apr 23, 2005.

1. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Hi everybody. Currently I am GASing a chambered bass after listening to a chambered Benavente sound clip from the Lowend.net.

However, while I am not a fretless player(upright is my fretless ;) ), most of sound clips I've heard are fretless ones.

Does anybody have a chambered/fretted bass? With or without a piezo pickup?? Could you share your experience with it? Sound clips will be a great help too.

I am not only interested in Benavente/Fodera type of higher end basses but Rob Allen/Rick Turner type of more accessible ones as well. So if you have anything chambered or hollow body your input will be appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

2. My Stambaugh 6 is semi-hollow, although I don't know how extensive the chamber(or chambers)is/are. It seem to have a fairly subtle effect on the tone- a bit of additional bass & a vague reverb. More presence in the higher register, & enough acoustic volume to hear it fairly well unplugged, but my kids(3 & 6 yrs)easily drown it out. For the versatility & old-school tone I was after, Chris recommended against it, but I went w/my gut- no regrets.
    The bass has Aero magnetic PUs & an Aggie OBP-3 w/passive tone & mid selector. Tons of tones, all good. I heard someone compare a Stambaugh's tone w/Fodera- I've never heard one, & frankly, I'm afraid to. I might just need one. :rolleyes:
    You can see pics of my bass at Luthiersaccessgroup.com; gallery 3, IIRC.

3. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Thanks for your input, bassteban.

What I am thinking now is a bass with more upper register with noticeable tone. Like 5-string with high C and 28 frets or something like that. And I won't slap on this so versatility is not an issue here, but a goooood, acoustic sound is what I am looking for.