Does anybody have a chambered/FRETTED bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eunchang, Apr 23, 2005.

1. eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Hi everybody. Currently I am GASing a chambered bass after listening to a chambered Benavente sound clip from the

However, while I am not a fretless player(upright is my fretless ;) ), most of sound clips I've heard are fretless ones.

Does anybody have a chambered/fretted bass? With or without a piezo pickup?? Could you share your experience with it? Sound clips will be a great help too.

I am not only interested in Benavente/Fodera type of higher end basses but Rob Allen/Rick Turner type of more accessible ones as well. So if you have anything chambered or hollow body your input will be appreciated.

Thanks fellas.
  2. My Stambaugh 6 is semi-hollow, although I don't know how extensive the chamber(or chambers)is/are. It seem to have a fairly subtle effect on the tone- a bit of additional bass & a vague reverb. More presence in the higher register, & enough acoustic volume to hear it fairly well unplugged, but my kids(3 & 6 yrs)easily drown it out. For the versatility & old-school tone I was after, Chris recommended against it, but I went w/my gut- no regrets.
    The bass has Aero magnetic PUs & an Aggie OBP-3 w/passive tone & mid selector. Tons of tones, all good. I heard someone compare a Stambaugh's tone w/Fodera- I've never heard one, & frankly, I'm afraid to. I might just need one. :rolleyes:
    You can see pics of my bass at; gallery 3, IIRC.
  3. eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Thanks for your input, bassteban.

What I am thinking now is a bass with more upper register with noticeable tone. Like 5-string with high C and 28 frets or something like that. And I won't slap on this so versatility is not an issue here, but a goooood, acoustic sound is what I am looking for.