1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DOES ANYBODY HAVE A DELUXE PRECISION BASS? WANNA TELL US ABOUT IT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 29, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I've never seen anyone post anything about these basses. I tried one in the store before but it had too many tonal option knobs. However, I find myself wanting to try one out one more time, being a bit more focused. I'm also interested in your experience with them, if you have any.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    *crickets*

3. The P pickup is setup weird. I know this is probably due to string radius fretboard etc... whatever.

Just sayin' it looks funny.

4. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Definately looks funny. They play pretty great, my favorite P-basses... even though they're not exactly "Classical P"

5. Say what?

[​IMG]

6. steve21

steve21 Inactive

I meant the pickups in that one closeup.

I <3 the entire look of the Am P Deluxe. The only way it'd be better (for me) is if it had a reverse P.

7. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Tell me everything about that bass!!!!!

8. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    DCP_0005.gif

I used to own this one (a 2006), a 2001, and a 1994. These things are workhorses! You can get just about any tone you can think of, they still have a modern Fender feel, and they're pretty light weight. There are only two complaints that I have about them: 1.) The strange "double jazz" bridge pickup limits your choices of aftermarket pickups severly. 2.) The Fishman-made Fender preamp can be very noisey and unreliable. All three of the American Deluxe's I owned had preamp problems. However, if you get the MIM version, which is half of the price, it is essentially the same bass: same preamp, neck and body woods (like all current MIM Fenders) that come from USA, same "Fender" logo, etc. However, I believe that the pickups are nicer on the MIM with the Noiseless versions.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I got one.
    Basses027.jpg
    They can sound great in many situations.
    I got DR Sun-Beams on mine right now.

10. I've always wondered, does that double jazz pup in the bridge position sound like a humbucker or just like a jazz pup?

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Sounds like a noiseless Jazz pickup pretty much.

12. gotcha, thanks.

13. I have a Mexican P-bass deluxe special and it is really really nice. You can get any tone imaginable with it. turn it 100% to the noiseless Jazz pickup for great jazz finger playing, and all the way to the P for great P-bass pick tone, and everwhere in between. It's an active bass, some like that and some don't, I really do, I'm in love with it. All the electronics are made in the USA, then sent to Mexico for assembly. The neck is actually a jazz bass neck so it's slimmer than a p-bass neck and it's very fast. The only thing I don't like is the bridge. It just seems weak and flimsy, seems like there is too much play. I've got a Gotoh 201 on the way to fix that though.

DSC03911.jpg

DSC03915.jpg

DSC03921.jpg