1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anybody here remember (or ever heard of) Afric Simone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Sep 14, 2008.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

I was remembering that guy, and I'd like to know if some of you fellow TBers knew him. He is a Mozambican singer who always showed a fun, optimistic mood, and was extremely successful in my country in the mid 70's. I've always thought it was weird since his biggest hits were sung in swahili, although he also sung in spanish.

This is considered his biggest hit and sure it was, but the song that really made me (and many others) scream yahoo. was this one (Sorry for the boring video. Couldn't find a better one). To me, THAT was his biggest hit ever, but doesn't seem to have stood the test of time that well (For Afric Simone fans, of course). At that time, at least, "Barracuda" had far more impact than "Ramaya", which also was an extremely popular song.

I've always been curious about that sound effect so prominent in his music, never used by any other artist as far as I know. Most of his songs included it, and it was one of the things that made his sound so cool. It would be great if any of you could give me an idea of how it was created.

Of course, still have the present that mom gave me for my 9th birthday in perfect working condition:

AfricSimone001.
    AfricSimone002.
    AfricSimone003.

I also had the "Ramaya" single, but one of my brothers had the great idea of using it for a school homework: He burnt its outside, so it turned into a nice, wavy disc. I wanted to kill him.

Again, just wanted to share some grateful memories from my childhood and get to know if any of you also enjoyed this music. Thanks for reading!