1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does anybody know about who played bass for Eric Burdon?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Was Eric Burdon's band always called "War", and either way, who played bass? I was listening to some old song and the bass playing was very good. Not sure if this was a "War" song, or just an Eric Burdon song.

2. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    In the 60's ERic Burdon was the lead singer of the band THe Animals. AFter they broke up his record company wanted him to record with a few songs with Up and coming LA Funk Band War. They only did a few songs but war was very famous on their own . ONe of their hit songs is " Low Rider" and "Cisco Kid".

3. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    And "Spill the Wine".

Best of War has all these cuts and is worth getting.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh yea, "Spill the Wine" - this was an awesome band! Too much great music, too little time. The early funk stuff was just sooo good.

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    The bass player for Eric Burdon and the animals was
    Chas Chandler i beleive, who went on to produce the
    up and coming guitarist Jimi Hendrix!

cheers

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Eric Burdon only did two albums with War.
    1970-Eric Burdon Declares War
    1971-The Black Man's Burdon
    (I have never heard this one...would sure like to find a copy).

B.B. Dickerson was War's bassist.
    "The World Is A Ghetto" is a War tour-de-force.

On a tangent-
    Eric Burdon was "The Egg Man", right?
    ;)

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Eric Burdon...the Egg Man? No way. Why would you think this? Now this thread is getting interesting!

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I went to the Eric Burdon and the New Animals concert last year. I was the closest person in the audience to the bassist. It was realy cool. Dave Meros was the bassist.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Found it...Barry Miles' Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now, pg. 357

Regarding "I Am The Walrus"...
    "The 'Eggman' in the lyrics is almost certainly Eric Burdon, who was known to his friends as 'Eggs' because he was fond of breaking eggs over naked girls during sex. In Eric's autobiography, he describes an orgy...in which John Lennon watches him break amyl nitrate capsules under the noses of two half-naked girls & follows this up with two raw eggs. John is quoted as encouraging him, 'Go on, go get it, Eggman'. Go for it".

HEY, NOW!
    ;)

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

The damnn site has about everything!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I bought a cassette in about 1984-5 in Rockaway Mall off route 80 in Morris County NJ...

it was "Live -The Eric Burdon Band" (or something similar) it mentioned recorded in Sweden on the cover. It was "THE" band I wanted to be in. Loud, Raunchy, Groovin', Soulful, Funk Rock. I wore the tape out! I was smart enough to copy it when it was half dead so I was working with 2 copies in the end.... but they both are long gone :(

I've never seen it again but would give anything to have it now. I don't recall all the tracks but rising sun and a few other Animals hits as well as spill the wine were on it... it felt like a recorded rehearsal almost. I questioned if it was a legit release when I bought it.

Anyone recall this release?

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Since we're talking about "WAR"...in a way. We can't leave out "Slippin' into Darkness". Great stuff.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Or "Me and baby brother"
    Southern part of texas
    Deliver the word
    four cornered room
    The world is a ghetto
    cisco kid
    Low rider