Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody know D-TAR?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jonas, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
  2. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Hey jonas let me know what you find out....Since reading this post yesterday I have looked up a few posts and some of the audiophile guys say it is a great set of preamps comparable to much higher end stuff like avalon (but not quite of course). Can be used as a fine stereo pre or as a blender of up to 4 inputs. Lots of gain, I heard about their eq a few months back but the blender looks really fine to me.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This item is a collaboration between Rick
    Turner and Duncan pickups. Rick Turner
    is a pioneer of piezo pickups and is as
    knowledgeable as it gets. He also makes Turner
    guitars and basses. This unit is probably
    very similar to a Raven Labs blender. Turner
    only does high quality stuff so i'm sure its a
    good unit. Duncan has the means and the money
    to manufacture it. The specs say it has a 10meg
    ohm input for piezo's like underwood and wilson.
    This might be a very nice unit made in small runs.

4. Chris Gimme Lots o' Gain Fitzgerald might be drooling over this one, the specs say it's got 30 db of gain on the 1/4" input and 50 db on the XLR. Both channels have 1/4" and XLR inputs, the impedance on both 1/4"s is 10 Mohms.

mama!

5. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    I'm not going to get into head to head comparisons, but Solstice is a wonderful unit, and probably the most versatile of it's kind on the market. We've got direct XLR outs on both channels as well as the blended output, individual channel insert points as well as a master effects loop, and four inputs into two channels with separate volume controls on instrument and mic on each channel so you could use this as a mini PA head. We went with AC power so as not to make chief engineer (and Bass Lines designer...) Kevin Beller have to compromise audio quality. The mic preamps alone are well worth the price of the unit as was noted over at the Acoustic Guitar website.

And I am the "T" in D-TAR...

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Rick. As soon as i saw your ass was invovled,
    i knew this was a high quality piece of gear.
    Now i have to find one of these things and take
    a listen. Thanks again for leading me into OPTION
    ANXIETY! Hope all is well.