Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody know of/play Wishnevsky???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    :confused: Does anybody play or have played a wishnevsky bass? I'm having him do a ric body style, what does you all think. Also, what pickups should I use in the thing??????

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, I'm a computer programming major. I did not see that. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Something made with C4.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :D Now that's what I'm talking about. ;)

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, don't knock it, until you've played it. I've always found that to be true. I'm ordering one, and I'll post what it sounds like. I will obviously upgrade the p/u's and put in tone knobs, or active eq, but I wll tell you all what it's like.

6. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    you should go for one of his trapezoidal shaped basses man ;)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sooaahhhhh, tmo. My man. Where did you find one of these to try out? I'm sure you didn't order one without having played one. I mean, right? You've actually seen one, right?

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh boy, here it goes!! This one's gonna be FUN to watch!! :D
    ::sits back in a recliner with a back of popcorn--"Let it fly, boys!"::

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The man speaks truth!

I, for one, can't wait to see what a Wishnevsky Ric copy looks like!

TMO33--

Did you hear about him online, or did you see his ad in Bassplayer? Have you already ordered it? If so, what kind of timeframe did he give you?

As for pickups, are you wanting it to sound like a ric, or do you just like the shape?

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There's enough discussion about htis guy. I just spent the past 3 hours reading about it. I might collaborate on the materials with him, and screen them as he builds. I might see if i can inspect it all as it comes along, so that way we can both be happy with the work. I Might also buy him a puckup template and bit from Stew-Mac just to be safe. And I will most likely be putiing a pickguard of sorts on it. Just to get rid of the wierd plate. I have faith in the guy's woodworking, I just want to make sure a fancy string stick turns into a bass. Ya know what I'm sayin? You wanna do that with anybody, to tell the truth. By the way, check my attatchment if you haven't seen this monster!

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Whoa! His work surely has improved! That one looks almost as bitchen as, say, a Roscoe.

12. TMO33, I was wondering how much Wishnevsky charges for a custom? I wouldn't mind an inexpensive custom. I think a Wishy would be an interesting addition to my collection. I'm really interested in checking out that Ric copy you have him building.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well this is quite off-topic and a whole other debate but the reason no one makes "knock-off sticks" is because Chapman keeps a close eye on that sorta thing and would sue the pants off 'em.

brad cook

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    He is going to build me a ric copy like the one I am attatching. I asked him if he had any pics of a orc copy he has mead, and he scanned it for me. I am going to get a fretless with 2 jazz pups. If the fretboard is not level, I will do that work myself. I am ordering something from him because I have not the time to build my own. If I was to buld my own, I would probably take a few months or so, but he says about 4-6 weeks. I saw him in bassplayer, and checked his site. The ric copy will be maple neck-thru with walnut body sides and purpleheart fingerboard. It will have trussrod, of course. I wouldn't buy it without one, and also graphite neck reenforcement. I will probably put a badass II bridge on it. I am ordering parts through work and shipping them to him to take some off the down payment. I get a lot of good deals through my job. I am probably going to defret one of my older basses too. But hey, I thought for 300 bucks, I'd give it a try.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wishnevsky...making a "real" bass!?

IT'S THE ONE ELPHANT OF THE APOCALYPSE!

*Ned, that's Horsemen, and it's four.*

*It's still too darned close*

16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Despite most everyone here, I can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck with it.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Wish knows how to do trussrods?

18. I saw in an earlier version of bass player mag that Dave Pomeroy used the "Wishnevsky banana bass" on his newest cd along with a myriad of others... maybe someone notable is using them :D

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think I'm just gonna forget it. I'll see if spector will cut me a deal, or I'm just going to buy myself a camaro. My dad is selling his for 500 bucks to me. So I think that's better than a bass for right now.

20. :confused:

Is there something in the water in Illinois? Something that makes people make poor, snap decisions?

And will you be talking to Stuart himself so he can "cut me a deal"?

If you really want a good, well reviewed, affordable bass. Check out the
    Essex Megathread