Does anybody know some good songs?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bessie, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    I forgot to ask in my last post if anybody knew of some great songs I should learn. I'm not really into that whole 5-5-5-5-5-5-6-6-6-6-6 bull. I like things more. Nothing too complicated but a bit more than this. Maybe a semi-easy riff from Flea? His always sound more like it's own thing rather than just a bass keeping a beat. I hate that stupid beat thing in bands. Thay shouldn't do that. That's why a lot of bass players don't have much respect. It all looks talentless. Anybody can do it. But back to my question. I'd really apprieciate some suggestions. Heres a hint at the kinda stuff I like, Pink Floyd, Janis, Led Zepplin, old black sabbath, Red Hot..., Midnight Oil, Nirvana, Pearl Jam...etc.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    How about some Pink Floyd, Janis, Led Zepplin, old black sabbath, Red Hot..., Midnight Oil, Nirvana, Pearl Jam...etc?

just a thought :rolleyes:
  3. Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    I was kinda meaning songs, not artists. I don't know very much about the basslines in the songs I like. I've looked at some and there too complicated. I was asking if anybody could tell me some semi-easy somgs to learn in the same kind of ganre of those artists. I didn't want someone telling me to learn some song by, say, Blink , that I don't like. But good answer. I would have said the same.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Pink Floyd - Money
    Ms. Joplin - Little piece of my heart
    Led Zep - Ocean or the Crunge
    Sabbath - Warning
    RHCP - My Lovely Man

why not start trying to learn the ones YOU like? I listed ones I had fun figuring out
  5. soul to squeeze-rhcp

in the flesh?-pink floyd

bound to the floor-local h

one armed scissor-at the drive-in

tom sawyer-rush
  6. Black Sabbath - Farries Wear Boots
    Nirvana - Lithium
    Pearl Jam - Oceans
  7. how about pea, otherside or purple stain by rhcp?
  8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Led Zep - Whole Lotta Love
    Only 3 notes, but timing is everything

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Golden Earring - Radar Love
    A bit more complicated, I felt like I played a real song when I did this one.

U2 - Just about any song but definitely anything off of Achtung Baby
  9. Try getting a rhcp bass book. either mothers milk, bssm or californication and working through it piece by piece there's also a flea book with pieces of multiple albums.

also rage against the machines first album has some cool stuff.
  10. In that case chromatic fantasy by Jaco would be a good choice as well.

Seriously though, how about the intro to The Trees by Rush, that is what I played when I felt in a rut because it wasn't too hard but not really simple either so it restored my confidence. I think I'll make a movie out of that, I'll call it How James Got His Groove Back. Ok, that was really lame, but give the song a try :).
  11. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Ditto on "soul to squeeze" -RHCP. That's definatly one of my favorite basslines, and it's not too hard to boot.:)

Have fun,
  12. Sir Psycho Sexy might be a little tought to start with. It will help with coordination though if u want to try it. Oh and the phase shifter in it rocks.
  13. Dammit i wanted to say otherside, bessie learn this it's easy and it's the coolest song ever sort of, well its very goood.
  14. Lol i knew someone would say that:D
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Led Zep: The Lemon Song
    Black Sab: War Pigs
    RHCP: Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic and Under the Bridge

Pink Floyd: The Wall
    Janice Joplin: Me and Bobby McGee and Ball and Chain

Nirvanah: Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Pearl Jam(et all) Hunger Strike and I'm Still Alive
  16. Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    Nobody said Electric Funeral.
  17. Day Tripper and Birthday by the Beatles
    Plush by STP
    Can't Explain by The Who

Good songs, not overly simple, and fun as heck to play.