Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody know this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 18, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Recently, I watched a DVD of a salsa concert by bassist Bobby Valentín. He's one of the most recognized names in the genre since he was for a long time the bassist for the Fania All Stars band, aside from his own solo project (he used to play trumpet before switching to bass - recalling another thread). My question is, I've never seen a bass like his. I hope the attached picture is enough for you TalkBassers to identify it. The weirdest thing is: No visible pickups. Piezos, maybe? But can a piezo-alone bass give the round, bassy tone typical of salsa style? BTW, in this picture, Valentín seems to be holding a pick, but he's a fingerstyle player. The video I saw is from 2002, so I don't think it's an old, discontinued bass.

Thank you very much in advance. I'm really curious about this.

Attached Files:

2. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Not sure what it is, but there could possibly be two pickups... one under his hand and blending into the pickguard, and the other under a pickup cover.

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    [​IMG]

It could be a custom Ray Ramirez electric bass.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, maybe I should mention that my appreciation about the pickups doesn't come from the picture. I watched and re-watched the video trying to find something that points me to the pickups, but the pickguard looks totally flat. Another detail: The bridge is an uncommon one, placed by the edge of the bass' body, so the strings seem to run through the full length of the instrument.

5. Looks a LOT like the old Ampeg scroll basses.

Steve Wishnevsky of wishbass "infamy" has borrowed alot of his ideas from this bass design.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Ampeg Scroll Bass

Micheal Steele of the Bangles

[​IMG]

Boz Burrell of Bad Company, King Crimson, Alvin Lee, etc...
    Favored a fretless Ampeg "Scroll" Bass during Bad Company's early days.

7. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Does look a good deal like a scroll. No way it could be a wish bass cause he looks happy to be holding it.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Somebody has started a line of reissues of these old Ampegs. The Scroll bass, the Devil bass, and the SSB bass.
    Ah! Here we go. http://www.xstrange.com/aeb2main.html

Looks like the Devil bass was scheduled to debut in 2003, but it is still not on the site.

9. Is that a wishbass joke? :scowl:
    I am quite happy with my wishbass. It is one of my favourite things to play! :bassist:

I realise that not all wishbassists have shared the same experience as me. Perhaps, I am one of the lucky ones. Good for me. :smug: hehe

Joking aside:

No...it's definitely not a wishbass...However, doesn't look exactly like a scroll either. This one photo is just too ambiguous.

10. embellisher

It is most definitely a copy of the Scroll, one of the reissues that I posted in the link above.

[​IMG]

11. embellisher

Notice the pickup cover in the first photo, behind his right wrist. Notice how the bridge is right on the end of the body, like the picture I posted above. The original scroll tailpiece was mounted on a wood block past the end of the body.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Clips? :cool:
    I'll take one, left handed!
    [​IMG]

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I've just taken these screenshots from the video. Yes! It's an Ampeg Scroll! Thank you, guys! You're so knowledgeable and helpful.

Attached Files:

• Valent
      Valent
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • Valent
      Valent
      File size:
      33.5 KB
      Views:
  14. embellisher

Wow! It's the real deal and not the reproduction. Those things are rare, and worth a fair amount. I would love to have an original Devil bass.

[​IMG]