Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Anybody know what kind of gear Hub uses?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BigJH, May 27, 2001.

1. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just want to know what kind of gear he uses. I can't find out what gear he uses. It's just burning a hole in my mind.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He's the bassist for the Roots. The Roots are a rap group.

4. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    what kind of rig do you use?

5. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A crappy squire with an equally cheap amp.

6. well, i assume that you know he plays an upright. not sure of his amplification, maybe you can check www.okayplayer.com

i don't think his amp setup would be that important if you want to emulate his sound, just get flatwounds with quick decay and maybe some foam to mute the strings.

edit: come to think of it i have seen him use electrics live, but i'm pretty sure he records everything with the upright.

7. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I was just wondering whathe uses. I have their live album and just wanted to know what he plays. I have been to the site and it never mentions what kind of electronics or electrics he uses. Thanks for the info though.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Every time I've seen the Roots, he's been using a Fender Jazz. I didn't get a look at his amp rig, though. To my ears, it sounds like he's used BG on the last few albums. I haven't heard much obvious upright on their studio work since Do You Want More?... but maybe that's just me :p

Btw, dancehallclasher -- you look EXACTLY like my younger brother. It's a little weird! :D

9. oh that's not my pic, it's a kid i met near Philly PA. we started chatting because i was there to see a band called Degeneration, and he was like "wow, i have a big brother in a band called 'the Me Generation." it was a funny coincidence.

10. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    He used to use an upright (on organix and dywm) but now he uses a fender jazz...sometimes iv heard him play what I thought was a fretless too. I think I saw a pic of him with an eden amp.

You might want to try asking people on the okayplayer boards.