1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anybody know what makes this so incredibly rare?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    All guesses are welcome.

Also, I challenge anyone to find this EXACT shirt (lest the relic job) anywhere on the internet.

That would be the best proof that you know what makes this shirt unique, possibly even one of a kind. I've been searching for this a long, long time...

I will probably never wear this shirt (not really my kind of T), but I'm very happy to have it :).

superman 2.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Bassbeater and JRA like this.
  2. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Dont they sell those at Target? Pretty sure I have seen them there.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Is it from the 90s animated tv series?

You've been searching for the shirt or the story behind its uniqueness?

My next guess is that it's an unlicensed shirt, though both ggl img srchs for "superman shirt" and "superman shirt 90s" came back with a small percentage of curved shield lines and a mix of serif placements.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    It was worn by George Reeves?

5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I think that’s lake placid blue that’s been died-over a factory white.

GregC and MattZilla like this.
  6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    It's been ironed?

7. I'm guessing:

The symbol has evolved subtly over the decades in print and on screen. The "S" on that tee looks almost identical to the one worn by George Reeves in the The Adventures of Superman.

I'm not sure if that makes it rare, or why, but for comparison:

george-reeves-superman-logo-57bc34603df78c8763bff76f.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    MattZilla and PWRL like this.
  8. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    My guess is the rarity value comes from Joe not wearing black and lookin' cool.:cool:

Gaolee, danesdad and Mktrat like this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I thought Superman was a journalist, not an author?

;) :D

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    The guy wearing it!

Gaolee, MrLenny1 and Oddly like this.
  12. It's quite a different S in a differently proportioned shield. Kinda the same but definitely no cigar.

My guess would accordingly be ''knockoff''.

13. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Rounded shield outer edges?

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Come on already @Joe Nerve.
    You can buy those all day every day at teepublic.com. Even the distressed one.

-Mike

15. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    It's got a really small red cape, hanging off the back.

Jim Nazium, craigie and Bassbeater like this.
  16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I see Underoos when I look at that shirt

17. MJ5150 likes this.
  18. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Yep... that's it. I read a while back that the actual George Reeves S was trademarked and couldn't be copied. Either that trademark is no longer any good, or... I'm sad to now say that after comparing... this shirt is not a perfect copy. I thought it was :(. It is without a doubt though the closest I've ever seen.

I am cool. I don't need to look cool.

And true. My wardrobe is black. Though I have some white shirts cuz they go well together.

Yes.

That's where I got it :). Never saw them anywhere else. And I never heard of teepublic until I found that the other day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now a little pointless backstory.

When I was a kid, I LOVED The Adventures of Superman. I also loved drawing, and wanted to draw that "S," perfectly. I could never do it. I'd get close, but never really nail the shapes on the yellow parts. I'd look through comics, in stores, on toys... my father even had a professional artist who worked with him paint some for me, and no dice. I used to sit in front of the TV set with tracing paper and try to trace it at the end of the show (some of the episodes had an S fill the screen at the end), and I never succeeded. There was no internet. There was no VCR. There was no pause button to freeze frame it. Imagine a world like that.

Anyhooo..... from time to time I'd do searches for the George Reeves S on a shirt, and I got stupid happy when I finally saw that one at T public. As ridiculous as it sounds, it's been a life long dream :) for me own that exact S on a shirt... and now, alas, I realize it ain't even dead on. The S is too big too.

But that's OK. My search continues....

If anyone else can find one, please let me know :).

19. Same here, it's pretty damn close. Just a couple of lines that curve on the original are more angled on the copy. Maybe an unauthorized forgery TM violation, who knows?

People of a certain vintage might be more attentive to such details. That was also one of my favorite TV shows back in the good old days of black and white cathode ray tubes.

20. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    These punks gave me nightmares on a regular basis when I was kid. Me and my brothers used to call them the Baldy Heads. A doctor once actually prescribed a sedative to knock me out at night so I wouldn't have nightmares. My parents gave it to me once and couldn't wake me up. It scared the crap out them so they threw it away.

Interestingly, one of these guys, Jerry Maren, was also one of the Lolly Pop Guild Munchkins in the Wizard of Oz. They however didn't scare me.

1951-superman-and-the-mole-men-006.

two fingers and MattZilla like this.