1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Submission Does Anybody Know What Time It Is? Chicago

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by EarnestTBass, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    EDIT: If you are just looking for a decently accurate bass transcription of a Chicago tune, then immediately jump on down below and download the file labeled "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" Ignore the other file, and stop reading any further. ALL REASONABLE PEOPLE SHOULD STOP READING HERE*

OK. You are still reading. I warned you. What follows is a story of my journey on the road to learn how to create transcriptions. I am a geek and my stories bore most people. It's still not too late to stop reading....

I am working on my standard notation reading and writing skills. I have today, finally, purged all of my band folders of any tabs. I now have standard notation for every tune that I play live.

"Does Anybody Know What Time It Is ?" is one of my favorite bass lines.

I initially thought I would score it out using triplets to accurately count the swing. After I finished one page, I could see how clumsy it is to use triplets to depict swing. I did not finish the transcription using triplets. A complete transcription using straight eighths is attached. Straight eighth notes are much easier to follow visually. Swing is maybe something better felt, not read.

The failed transcription, the one with triplets, is also posted for those who might enjoy a cautionary tale.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    JimK, jallenbass, slagheap and 3 others like this.
  2. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    To notate a swing feel, I just throw one of these on the score and call it a day
    swing_0.

JimK and slagheap like this.
  3. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Welcome to standard notation only world! I've been enjoying it massively myself.