Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody know where I can find those...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Listen, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    old basses, with no headstock, and the tuners are at the end of the body?:confused:

2. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    www.musicyo.com

I have one... It's crap but its looks cool. More of just a fun thing to have then a actual gigging bass.

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    thnx

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    If you are looking for a Steinberger XL-2 (the all composite boat oar style bass), eBay is a great resource and they can be had for 1K or less.

Music Yo sells new the all wood Spirit models for between 250 - 350 and has just released new graphite neck models for considerably more.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have two, and they're higher quality than the price would have you think. Why do you think it's crap?

6. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I don't like the feel of the skinny neck or how it is weighted. I don't like how it sounds either and it is hard to tune.

7. I saw a few on ebay yesterday, all between $250 and $700. Some were copies of the Steinies, though. Only the
    $700 was an actual Steinburger, and it was white.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Funny how different people have different perceptions of the same thing!

I think they have necks like baseball bats, and both of mine tune very easily when I use quality strings (not the MusicYo ones). (Try unscrewing the tuner knobs and using a dab of heavy grease on the threads and moving parts - they'll slick right up and keep in rock-solid tune.) They balance extremely well on strap or in lap with the kickstand. The factory pickups aren't the best, but they're no worse that what's in a MIM.

Which one do you have? I'm talking about the "boat oar" model.