1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anybody make 2ohm cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Apr 19, 2006.

1. I am on the verge of buying an amp that can do 2ohms, but I don't want to/can't afford 2 different 4ohm cabs, yet I would like to take advantage of the extra output. Does anybody know of any 2ohm cabs that would be good as a standalone?

Thanks

~Alex

2. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Maybe, but it would be rare. It's relatively minor surgery to turn an 8-ohm cab with two 4-ohm speakers into a 2-ohm cab (i.e., wiring them in parallel rather than in series).

3. Power doesn't mean anything by itself. You have to factor in the sensitivity and frequency response of the speaker. More power won't necessarily sound louder if it's going into a less efficient cab.

If volume capability is your concern, you would get essentially the same volume benefit (or more) with a more efficient 4 ohm cab that you would by going to a less efficient 2 ohm cab, and you wouldn't be running the amp at it's limits. It's a good idea to avoid running an amp at its limits if you can.

4. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Are you sure that this amp just doesn't go down to 2 ohms, which would mean that it really uses two 4 ohm cab. IMHO I would suggest that you check the info on this amp, and make sure it uses a 2ohm cab and not two 4 ohm cabs. My amp is old like 30 years and it goes down to 2 ohms, I'm from that era and I don't remember a amp that used 2 ohm cabinets, I'm not saying there wasn't any I just don't know of any.:bassist:

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I wouldn't recommend buying a 2 ohm cab even if you can find it. Later on down the road you will want another cab for a different kind of sound and you will wish you had a 4 ohm so you could just add another on.

6. You seem to be implying that most 2ohm cabs aren't efficient. Is that the case?

7. The impedance of the cab has nothing to do with how sensitive it is

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    What amp? I am asking because most amps with 2-Ohm ratings are fairly powerful, and a single cab that can absorb your amp's output power is probably not going to meet your affordability requirement.

9. No, I'm not implying that at all. I'm just saying, you seem to be assuming you need to get the max power out of the amp. Presumably because you want max volume or headroom. My point is that just having the max power available does not mean you get max volume or headroom. 300 W into a very efficient cab gives you more volume and headroom than 600 W into a very inefficient one. So I'm saying that to look for a 2 ohm cab just because you get the most power out of the amp that way is looking at the problem the wrong way, because it doesn't guarantee you what you want. It makes more sense to look at other considerations first, such as tone, frequency response, sensitivity, and price, and then see how things look as a system with the amp you're envisioning.

I've never actually ever seen a 2 ohm cab.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get an 8 ohm multi-driver cab, and then rewire it for 2 ohms...

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I believe ampeg made some cabinets that were biamp-able o could be run at 2 ohms. Check them out, versital if you ask me.

i think there was a 2x8" and 15" 2way, and an 18" 2x10" cab. They are kinda rare, but they are out there.

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Wow!! :eek:

Got roadies? Get more!!

14. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Many (most?) 8 ohm 4x10" cabinets can be rewired to 2 ohms, if they contain four 8 ohm drivers. Rather than series/parallel, the speakers could be rewired to parallel.

I think the reason why we haven't seen many 2 ohm cabinets is because until fairly recently few bass amps were able to drive 2 ohms loads. Seems that 8 ohm cabinets used to be the standard, where two cabinets could be combined with heads that were rated to drive 4 ohms, while many are now moving to using two 4 ohm cabinets with 2 ohm rated amplifiers.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    There's a 2x8/1x15 cab at my local guitar center, and it's pretty lackluster. Sounds good, but isn't efficient at all.