Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody make a bass like this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'm looking for a bass with the tone of a heavy, thick neck, vintage P bass BUT with 2 P\Us & multiple EQ options.
    I love the P bass but I'm looking for something with a little extra versatility. I'm willing to drop the coin with a good lutheir if necessary. Maybe its the right wood I'm looking for? Maybe nothing comes close except the P?
    I play rock\blues....
    Mike
    www.saywhenmusic.com

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I bet Nino Valenti could hook you up, big time: valentibasses.com. Or, if you're into fives, the Fender Roscoe Beck five has a big neck and lots of classic tones at your fingertips with all the pickup switching options. The RB4 has a Jazz type neck, so it probably wouldn't be your thing.

A G&L L-200 could be ordered with a big neck, and lots of tones available there too.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Thanks for the info. its not about the neck as much as the tone... just straight deep P bass goodness. Just need a little more EQ for a some versatility without losing the deep P bass tone.
    On a side note I saw 311 & P-nut last night & he has a great tone but just different for my band ya know??

5. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    i know b.c. rich makes basses with a p in the regular P position and a P right by the bridge...but the b.c. riches all look very metal so you may not like them but u should check them out. Also i think B.C. Rich has a custom shop that has some more normal looking bodies and they could put that pickup config in. just check out their website

6. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    the b.c. rich NJ series is their top of the line production series and has many basses with the double P. the most normal looking one (its actually a pretty cool design that doesnt look like its made for death metal) is the eagle. go to http://bcrich.com/bcrich_guitars/nj_bass.asp to see the series-the eagle is the top one on the page

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    There's the Fender deluxe P with the MM pickup in the bridge and also a G&L might work, big neck, very versatile, tons of switches and etc.

8. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Well, it looks as though you want a good pre-amp and pups. If you get a nice pre-amp that lets you eq your bass. Lots of people on here like the demeter pre's (i'm also considering one, however the aguilar ones and j retro's are both great as well.) For a p-bass pup, alot of guys like the seymour duncans, but me personally I like Bartolini's (not sure if they make a p-bass pup). And by 2 pups, do you mean a J/P configuration? Also, the body of your guitar has alot to do with it. I would reconmend hitting up www.warmoth.com or giving those guys a call- tell them what you want (in terms of sound, and they should be able to help you out on choices of wood). They can also route your pup system any way (i think).

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm thinking Nino, too...

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  11. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, jon. Looks like I agree with you, but I beat you to it. :D

13. "Folks, we have a winner!"

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fender produced a 2P Precision. It was the Elite II

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    now if only that bass had a P by the end of the fretboard...

16. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    If you want the "sturdyness" of the P but with more options etc place your eyes on the Warwick Katana! It doesn't have the P pup, if it had that i would have personally bought one right away!

17. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Roscoe SKB!!

as bass player magazine said,,,

"Chunky Neck, Chunky Tone"

18. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Man am I GASsing for an Am. Deluxe P.